Possible Power Supply Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave601, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Dave601

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

Hi...have a couple of questions but i will start with the power supply.

1. Just upgraded to a pentium 4 2.4 800mhz fsb. Bought a new motherboard and processor. I am having some stability issues while playing games or even just going on the internet. I thought it might be a problem with hyper threading technology but have disabled that and still am having problems. I think it is the power supply, which is a 330 watt. My computer specs: Albatron PX865PE, P4 2.4, 512mb (2X256) of ddr pc2700, ati radeon 7500, 40gb western digital hd.

2. I am also having some trouble keeping my processor cool. Idle it is running at about 45C. I am using the heatsink that came with the processor. I have a fan built into the side and top of my computer. Should i be concerend about this or not?

Thanks for any information.

tallandfuzzy

Dave601, Jan 27, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Dave601

RD2DG I smell a bump! VIP Member

yes you should definatly get a new psu, P4 suck alot of jucie... i sugest at least 400 for P4.... you should look at some form www.antec-inc.com(sorry james i know you like saying that part....lets just say that i have learned from the best:D)...and i would be worriied too if my cpu was running at 45C that temp is "okay" to "bad" that is a little hot... are you sure that the air-flow from your cpu out of your case is good? if your case is cramped you should think about getting some round IDE cables and a round floppy cable...(or a SATA drive...) They make a HUGE difference in temp... my temp dropped almost 9 degrees after putting them in...you could also think about getting a water cooled system....for other ideas and help on cooling your system look at http://www.overclockers.com/articles578/
    [edit]
    for some reason that link only wroks if you click on it a few times...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
    RD2DG, Jan 27, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Dave601

thanks!!! i am pretty sure that is the quickest reply i have ever gotten on any forum. My case is pretty good i think. Do you think it is the case that is too hot or the processor? My mother board temp is about 33C.

Dont know why this posted twice?????

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
    Dave601, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Dave601

James Photojournalist

45 is high for being idle. Also, enable HT, that is not your problem. It's either heat issues or some other type of hardware / software issue. Make sure you do have adaquete power (Antec TruePower). Upgrade your BIOS, make sure you have enough airflow. You may have to get a better CPU fan / Heatskink. Zalman makes great coolers for P4's.

When you say stabilty issues, does your PC crash, or lockup? What OS? Do you have all the updates for Windows?

James, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Dave601

PC is locking up. I am using windows XP Pro. I have all of the upgrades.

Dave601, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Dave601

Steve VIP Member

WOW thats HOT!!

Ok, you started off by saying you think you have a PS (power supply) issue. If your computers PS could not supply enough power, it would most likely turn off, or reboot, not "lock up". 45C Thats hot, for a P4. I would suggest you get a new case with suffient air-flow (MORE FANS!!). You can get cases from around $50 to $200, and yes might as well get a case with a PS ( around $100). Anything over 400W is good.

PS: If you choose to buy something, look up the reviews on the web. Find out if you getting a good product or a cheap one. Just becuase it's $$ doesn't mean it's good.

-Steven Simons
    Computer Tech.:eek:

Steve, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Dave601

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

This is definately not a power supply issue. A power supply issue would manifest itself at boot up-when the BIOS spins everything up, or at access of the cd-rom while using the hard drive. This sounds like nothing more than a heat issue. Make SURE that the fan that came with the heatsink is properly seated on TOP of the heatsink. The Intel reference heatsink/fan combo that ships with almost all Intel processors are more than enough if they're properly hooked up. Did you use thermal grease while seating your heat sink? Or at least the little heat pad the processor came with? It sounds like you have adequate ventilation into the machine, but without a processor fan to help circulate air through that area and blow it on the heat sink, you will experience 'lock-ups'.

Fenis-Wolf, Feb 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question