Plz help us get these two talking to each other again

Discussion in 'Software' started by Faaris, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Faaris

Faaris

G'Day Dreamers...

We need help to get the P4 and P3 talking again please now we've got Xp and ASDL.

One shop says with XP u just connect P4 (admin) to modem via USB and connect P3 to P4 (access the net via P4 - like it was on win98).

But we can't get the two to see each other. Been trying to set up with MyNetworkplaces/setup home network.

Another fellow said we need a switch/hub/router in between the modem and the PCs to network both PCs.

We're confused and frustrated.

Plz help us get these two talking to each other again.

Faaris, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Faaris

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Well, its pretty simple. All you have to do is setup the modem, then go into Network Connections, right click on the modem connection, go into properties, then click on the advanced tab, then make sure that 'allow others to connect to the internet through this connection' is checked.
    Then if you have a ethernet connection via a cross over cable between your pcs, when you reboot the 98 machine it should get an ip from the other machine, and you should be ready to go.

Fenis-Wolf, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Faaris

James Photojournalist

You can use ICS like Wolf said, but a router would be more ideal and secure / efficiant. That way one PC doesn't have to be on all the time to access the net.

James, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Faaris

leadarrows American VIP Member

Just happened to read this post and wow what can I say ....your theman James. :)
    I never have figured out how to make my computers net work but this worked and now my W98 is on line. LOL First thing it wanted to do was get critcal up dates. It was easy like you said. I think some times you all that know this stuff forget how little some of us do. Now if I can just get them to share files..................:(

leadarrows, Apr 3, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question