Only my computer won't connect...

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by ViperScent, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ViperScent

ViperScent

For a long time now I've been using a shared internet connection between three computers. A few nights ago I was suddenly unable to connect though.. My other two computers are working fine.

The thing that's confusing me is that when I un-plug the DSL cable from the computer that won't connect, then plug it into my laptop, it works :?

When I try the ipconfig thing, I get this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: . . . . . . . . . :

When I type "ipconfig /release" it says it has already been released, and when I type "ipconfig /renew" it says "Access is denied". I am sure that I'm on an admin account, and it says the same thing when I try it on Windows2000 (I usually use WindowsXP).

Whats stopping me from renewing my ip?

ViperScent, Jul 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. ViperScent

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your USB modem? USB modem drivers are notorious for doing hokey things.

Fenis-Wolf, Jul 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. ViperScent

James Photojournalist

If you hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE it will tell you want account you're on. Now, right click My Computer | Manage | Users | go to the properties of the account you're logged on as and go to the Member of sheet and it will tell you if you're in the admin group or not.

James, Jul 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question