Ok im having a major problem with all applications

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kendaxx, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

well when i try to open like any application such as aol it comes up with a error that says this "C:/programfiles/folder/application.exe is an invalid Win 32 application" this is really fustrating cause i cant do anything except stuff that uses Win 98 to open it i would really appreciate any help thanks ^_^ :D

Kendaxx, Jul 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

Are you trying to open AOL instant messenger or the web browser? What OS do you have? Possibly Windows somehow lost it's config on what to associate exes or jpgs with the correct program.

Try right clicking on the app and then open with and select the right program for it to run with. If that doesn't work, re-install it.

What other programs do you have this issue with?

James, Jul 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

no no

it has nothing to do with Aol it all my programs in windows 98 like i click on any random program and it says that its like something is preventing me from opening a program with the cover up as an error i am really stumped. But also when i boot up my computer and log into my name this ms-dos window comes up with an error saying like you need to back up your conventional memory with the memory spread sheet or soemthing like that its really odd. im not sure what to do, Thanks tho for helping:lol:

Kendaxx, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

Can you do a Print Screen of the error message then save it as a JPG and post it here?

James, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

ummm yea ill try

yea its on the other comp but ill put it on a disk ok thanks

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

yea umm

i tried to do a print screen but i couldnt put it into bmp or jpg or any other type
    cause basically what its doing is not letting me open any files i think i can only open like system files its really weird.. i think it may be a virus cause when i looked on my comp today it had a file that was .99 GB it said like win.swd or something like that its really iratating thanks for still helping. :)

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

Can you be more accurate on the file or error message? Then I can hopefully know what exactly is happening. ;)

James, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

ok here ya go

Ok when i click on an file, application, or anything that opens a program. An error message comes up with a ! in a box to the left and an error with the words well heres an example say im trying to open a game such as quake 3 here we go "C:/programfiles/quake3/quake3arena.exe is not a valid application" that is exactly what it says. and it does that for ever program i try to open:thumbs:

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

It's a possibilty that you have a virus. Do you have the error message / filename for that huge file that you found?

James, Jul 11, 2003
  10. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

yea

the file has a name but no program to open it its called Win386.swp and i jsut tried to run my anitvirus program but it wont work it freezes up or soemthing:doh:

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  11. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

Ok, the Win386.swp is the Windows swap file used for Virtual Memory in the Windows environment. This allows the computer to provide more memory to applications than is physically present in the form of RAM.

I would say the best thing to do is format your drive completely and re-install your OS. I suggest this a lot because it's needed for people that have major issues like this. Do you know how to do this?

James, Jul 11, 2003
  12. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

heh

well darn but ill do it ill format my drive but i have downloaded so many things aww well i dont know how to format it tho:lol: but im sure youll help me please :cry: thanks :D

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  13. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

You don't have a network do you? That's the only bad thing about it. If you wanted to, you could take the hard drive from the pc your on now, and put it as a slave in your other pc, and transfer your files you d/l and put them on your hard drive. Then put that drive back in your pc that is working.

But, to format a drive, you will need a boot disk. Go to Control Panel | Add / Remove Programs | Windows boot / startup disk tab.

After that is done, reboot your PC with the disk in your drive. At the command prompt you want to type format c: (or whatever your drive letter is) once that is done, format any other partitions you may have.

One that is done, put your Win98 CD in and re-install. Then I would d/l the Windows Updates. Copy your files over if you do backup your files.

James, Jul 11, 2003
  14. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

ok thanks

thanks man ill be sure to come here next time i have a prob or just format my drive:D well thanks again

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  15. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

No problem. I hope that you can save your data though. :?

Let us know if you have any other problems!

James, Jul 11, 2003
  16. Kendaxx

Kendaxx

ok had problem formatting

ok i did everything you said to do when formatting but when i get to the prompt screen and type in "format c:" it says bad command or file name. im pretty sure im not typing it wrong and i typed it a ton of different ways i know of but it wont work:doh:

Kendaxx, Jul 11, 2003
  17. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

With the boot disk in, type DIR. There should be an fdisk and a format exe in there. How did you make the boot disk?

James, Jul 11, 2003
  18. Kendaxx

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

ahhh noo!!!

Don't format your drive yet!!

I had the EXACT same problem with my PC just a couple of day's ago!

I can tell you what's the problem and your assuptions are correct - you have a virus.

The virus' name is backdoor.subseven - and it add's several copies of itself to your computer and prevents any program with a .exe extension to work.

Also - it add's a few thing to your registry and a few extra lines to your win.ini and system.ini files.

Because your on windows 98 - it's a bit more difficult to get rid of (I'm on win XP - still took me 6 hours to get rid of the darn thing)

so here's the site on how to get rid of it - hopefully you'll see this before you format your PC.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.subseven.215.html

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.subseven.html

S Walch, Jul 11, 2003
  19. Kendaxx

James Photojournalist

Cool, good info their S Walch. I'd try what he suggested. If not, do the format which is always good to do.

James, Jul 11, 2003
  20. Kendaxx

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Ye p- the format will get rid of everything on your Hardrive - so it definantly get's rid of the Trojan/virus (sub7 is both ;))

S Walch, Jul 11, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question