Odd Problem power supply / blackout problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Esenthiel, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

This doesn't occur frequently, but it's still a problem. Sometimes during storms when the electricity cuts out, my computer will obviously power-off. The strange thing is, I have to unplug it from a power socket, and plug it into a different one or it won't power-up again. What would cause this?

Esenthiel, Jun 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Esenthiel

Phil VIP Member

Your breaker tripped off at your panel?

Phil, Jun 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

I dunno? I've had two power supplies on this system, and both have had the problem.

Esenthiel, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Esenthiel

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

i'm not sure but i think electricity temporarily cuts out as a saftey precaution. it might be like a hair dryer when it over heats. when it over heats, it shuts off and doesn't turn back on until you wait. if you wait a while, it will turn on again.

spike228, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

It doesn't. And I can't use the old plug again for the comp. It's messed up.

Esenthiel, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Esenthiel

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

are you having blackouts or brownouts?

blackout is when power it totaly cut off
    brownout is when the power dims a little then comes back to normal

both may contain power surges when the power is coming back on and overloading you pc with power causing it to shut off due to safty precautions with the power supply.

Do you have "reboot when power is lost" in bios?

Goober, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

It's blackouts that I have.

Don't have the "reboot when power is lost" option, at least in the power management category.

Esenthiel, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Esenthiel

Zeus Moderator

I have a couple of questions.
    1) Do you have anything else other than your computer plugged into the socket?
    2) Does your computer do this regardless of which socket it is plugged into?
    3) You said you have been through 2 power supplies. Did these go bad after a power failure?
    4) Do you have a surge protector? (I know, spike already asked this in the next post, but I didn't think about it until I was already getting ready for work, and this is my 1st chance to add it :p)

It sounds to me like it is a problem with your house wiring. If not, tell me what kind of power supply you have, and I'll research it to see if it has any kind of safety cutoff.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
    Zeus, Jul 4, 2005
  9. Esenthiel

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

wait a minute. you didn't mention anything about a surge protector. are you using one? if not, that might just do the trick. i know that there are locations where the electricity levels are unstable, here on the islands, its a little unstable around the industrial area since so many machines are drawing power all at once. my friend's dad's office always browns out at random times and that office has at least 6 computers in there. they have a backup batter/surge protector covering all of them.

spike228, Jul 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question