No microphone output to headphones via laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eheale, Mar 6, 2009.

1. eheale

eheale

Hi guys

I have bought a headphone splitter so that 2 pairs of headphones can hear the music I play on my laptop (only have 1 jack on laptop for headphones).

But I have a microphone on my set of headphones and although I can record on Audacity via the laptop, the sound doesn't come out of either microphones. I want the other person next to me to hear my voice through her headphones.

Any ideas around this?

Many thanks

Emily

eheale, Mar 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. eheale

Ian Administrator

Which version of Windows are you using? Am I understanding it correctly that you want to be able to speak into the microphone and head it on both sets of headphones via the splitter?

If you load the sound control panel by double clicking the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, is the microphone muted? Sometimes you need to unmute it be doing the following:

Right-click on the sound icon in the system tray and select Playback Devices (or alternatively, go to Control Panel and select Sounds). Once in the Sounds window, double-click the Speakers options, then go to the Levels tab, and there you need to unmute the microphone icon.

Ian, Mar 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. eheale

eheale

hi ian

thanks. i've found out that when using audacity i can actually hear myself now by clicking on the Software Playthrough.

Problem now is the latency so that I hear my voice through the headphones a second after I've said it, which is really annoying. Any ideas how to rectify that?

Thanks

Emily

eheale, Mar 7, 2009
  4. eheale

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

well emily that sounds like a hardware delay. I usually see the delay more on vista laptops. there's not much you can do about it unless you want to upgrade the laptop.

danperteet, Mar 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question