Nividia Driver Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WickedWolf, Oct 17, 2011.

1. WickedWolf

WickedWolf

I'm sure you've heard this one before.

I've been contending with it for quite some time on this machine. It's already been into the shop a few times because of the error, resulting in some hardware being replaced. Power supply the first time, RAM the second.
    The problems only occur while I am doing something that makes the GPU work
    such as video games or Corel Painter 12.

If anyone would like to have a shot at diagnosing the issue regarding the errors I'd be happy to accept any offered advice.

System Specifications:
    -Purchased September 2009
    -Link to Detailed specs @youfindit.ca/acer/notebooks/1019004826

Gateway FX 2009
    Gateway Godzilla N-10 motherboard.
    Intel core 2 Quad Processor Q9000 ((2.0 ghz))
    Nividia GeForce GTX 260m (( 1 gig on board ram))
    4GB Samsung DDR3 Memory

Errors & The games that cause them:

- Began occurring in February 2010

- Never Winter Nights2 ~ 2008
    - Never Winter Nights1 ~ 2002
    - Civilizations 5 ~ 2010
    - Civilizations 3 ~ 2001
    - WarCraft 3 ~ 2003

(( Time out detection recovery is firing))

Nividia GeForce Driver has stopped responding and has recovered.
    - Notification after screen flickers black
    - Happens repeatedly whenever the GPU is engaged
    - Happens RARELY when my computer is unplugged from the wall
    - Repeated Driver resets lead to BSOD (( nvlkddmkm.sys is the file listed as causing the crash))

Other issues:
    -intermittently the 2.0USB ports & CD drive will not work
    -fans are not running as loud as they normally do but heat levels still look safe.

What I have already attempted:
    - Turn off Windows Vista Aero and animations
    - Updated all Graphics drivers
    - Clocked back Graphic drivers
    - Upgraded to Windows 7
    - Upgraded Drivers
    - Clocked back Drivers ((seems to work better than the current one))
    - replaced/expanded nvldmkm.sys
    - Replaced RAM
    - Clean Reinstall of Windows 7 ((boot from cd))
    - Turned off Windows 7 Aero and animations
    - Updated all Graphics drivers
    - Clocked back Graphic drivers

What I think?
    - It's a hardware issue
    - My graphics card is biting the dust
    The first time I had my computer repaired
    The manufacturer replaced the power supply and it seemed to Temporarily solve the errors, they started occurring again in June 2010

The most recent time I have brought my computer into be fixed was a few months ago, The tech who helped me at the counter suggested that I could have damaged the hardware of my computer unintentionally through the use of XAMPP while I am developing PHP.

What I use Xampp for:
    - Basic PHP (( I'm just starting object oriented now))
    - Sqlite ((still working with small databases))
    - Started using it in September 2010
    - errors NEVER occur while I am developing

There's also a few other quirks with the machine, It struggles to run CDs and on occasion my usb slots wont work untill I restart my computer.

WickedWolf, Oct 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. WickedWolf

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Could be a power supply issue, maybe its failing. When PSUs fail they throw out all kinds of weird errors over the entire system.

Nickweb, Oct 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. WickedWolf

darthweb VIP Member

Motherboard Bios Update?

darthweb, Oct 17, 2011
  4. WickedWolf

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

You did what while doing what? I don't think so. I'd love for you to go back there to find out his reasoning.

You've done a lot of diagnosing and I'm going to agree on the hardware and say it's the motherboard. Though if you say that you don't have these issues when it's unplugged then the power adaptor could be supplying dirty power. Try going to an Office Depot or Wal Mart or some place that sells the universal adaptors, make sure you take note of their return policy and try using your laptop with that and see if conditions improve.

Goober, Oct 17, 2011
  5. WickedWolf

WickedWolf

I actually got mad at him when he suggested it was XAMPP :smash: It's just an apache distribution!? what's that got to do with my graphics card!?

I have actually tried a different adapter for my computer before, It's difficult to find one that supplies enough juice for my pc. I ended up returning that adapter because when I turned on any video games (engage the gpu) the adapter would actually turn OFF. I was having some issues with my original adapter a few months back and when I took it in to be looked at they checked it with a voltage meter, laughed at me, told me to plug it into the wall instead of a power bar, and sent me home.

and I've never tried a motherboard bios update, I'm not actually sure how to do that.

WickedWolf, Oct 18, 2011
  6. WickedWolf

Ian Administrator

I've had similar errors for the past month myself and some googling suggested that it may be a problem with the latest drivers - at least it was for me as I've only had this since updating to 280.26.

Ian, Oct 19, 2011
  7. WickedWolf

WickedWolf

That's how it started for me. If the error persists after you turn the driver back then there could be more wrong with the computer.:bawling:
    A HUGE number of little errors can cause Time out Detection Recovery to trigger and report the Nivida driver. You'll find about 20 different suggestions to fixing the error, up to removing all but one RAM stick from your computer. :crash:

WickedWolf, Oct 19, 2011
  8. WickedWolf

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

You can perform some BIOS updates through Windows, others you have to install onto a CD, or possibly use a flash drive.

I just looked up your laptop on Gateways website, I would DOUBLE CHECK just to make sure that I gathered the correct information.

http://support.gateway.com/ca/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2388

All you have to do with the BIOS update is extract the files from the ZIP file and run the BIOS.bat file. There is only one release which makes me wonder if your board is already up-to-date or not. If you load up bios by pressing F2 or something, it should say on the screen, and it may even say the version on the screen too, if not it'll say on the main page, if not just do some poking around, just don't touch any settings.

Do you think maybe that you're not getting proper voltage from your wall? Have you tried using it at a coffee shop? As for a different power adaptor you'll want to go with a beefy one around the 150$ price range. Most of the cheaper ones are in the 60-90w range and you'll prolly want one around 110-150w. I know it takes time out of your day to go do something like that just to find out if/when it doesn't work.

GLHF

Goober, Oct 25, 2011
  9. WickedWolf

fancilala

I'd guess you've got auto update on, and got wrong driver in place? Roll back to previous driver, through control panel, options etc...

fancilala, Nov 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question