Newsletter

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Dave601, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Dave601

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

Hello all. I need a way to send out a newsletter on the website that I run, mngin.org. I want there to be a box on the website where someone can type in there email address and hit submit and they will be added to a mailing list. Then we can send out a newsletter every so often to the people that have submitted their email address. Does anyone know of a good way to do this? I am using Wordpress and the site is hosted with A Small Orange. Thanks!

Dave601, Dec 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Dave601

Crimson Devil's Advocate VIP Member

Does A Small Orange allow a database on the backend? If so, do they specify a perticular one (MSSQL,MYSQL,ORACLE,etc)?

Crimson, Dec 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Dave601

James Photojournalist

There are plenty of PHP news letter systems out there but one thing to make sure is that your University is alright with having their name on that website. Danthetecman had a forum dedicated to his Uni and they shut it down.

James, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Dave601

Yeah, we are an official group of the University of St. Thomas (as in they give us money and support us). We just did not want to be under the restrictions of a university run website and, to some degree, did not want to be associated with the University.

I will look into some PHP newsletter systems. I actually sort of got a newsletter system to work by making some modifications to a Wordpress plugin, but it is a little weird.

Thanks guys!

Dave601, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Dave601

Just to update this, I ended up using PHPlist, which is an amazing newsletter tool...and it is totally free!

Dave601, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Dave601

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Be very careful with these types of programs. Many are rife with security holes, and are poorly supported. Save yourself some future headache and google program name + security to see if you can find any actively exploited holes. We had a php mailing script on a shared host once that ran as local user and it had a remotely exploitable hole that allowed a hacker to modify the file system.
    It wasn't pretty.

Fenis-Wolf, Jan 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question