New laptop, what do?

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Goober, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Goober

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

So I just received this blazing fast laptop 1 whole gb of ram and a Pentium M 1.6ghz proc with a whopping 80 gb hdd. Actually the hdd is one of my spares 'cause the laptops 40 gb died.

What should I do with it? I can't turn it into a night stand 'cause it's not a desktop. Maybe a plate? It's not deep enough to become a bowl. And yes it does run. I read on reddit that I can turn it into a picture frame but that kind of seems like a waste to me.

Goober, Jun 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Goober

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Load Ubuntu Linux on to it and it will fly. ideal for Internet and email use.

Maurice, Jun 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Goober

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

I'm with Maurice on this one - load Ubuntu, and it'll probably be the fastest OS for it.

That is, unless you want to see whether it'd take Google Chrome OS :)

S Walch, Jun 30, 2011
  4. Goober

Zeus Moderator

Actually I like SWalch's idea about the Google Chrome OS, but that is only because I am curious and haven't played with it yet.

If not, I say load your favorite flavor of Linux on it. I use Ubuntu and Fedora for my Linux needs :)

Zeus, Jun 30, 2011
  5. Goober

ChromeOS wont load, I tried last night, it got really pissy with me. Ubuntu I feel was a safe idead. Currently I'm trying to repartition my flash drive (currently stuck at 82mb out of 4gb) so I can try a different build of Android. The unstable build I tried didn't have wireless drivers that worked for it.

Goober, Jun 30, 2011
  6. Goober

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Send it to me, I could do with another laptop for my visual work at the club, also my mum wants a laptop :D

Nickweb, Jun 30, 2011
  7. Goober

Zeus Moderator

Don't send it to me. I have so many computers and parts lying around that my GF's 3 year old has his own laptop...that would actually run circles around that one (AMD Athlon 64 2.0Ghz dual core w/ 4GB ram and 150GB HDD).

What kind of RAM does it take and do you have an empty slot? I have a couple of non working IBM think pads lying around and might be able to mail you a stick.

Zeus, Jul 1, 2011
  8. Goober

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Zeus I know you want to send me a laptop :D got any good ones for not sky high monies?

Nickweb, Jul 1, 2011
  9. Goober

Wolfeymole Werewolf

Stick XP on it Goober, get all the drivers and updates and sell it for £70 ($112).

Wolfeymole, Jul 1, 2011
  10. Goober

I'm thinking of doing that, but I wanted to do a fun project with it first.

@Zeus: I have 6 IMB desktops sitting in my closet, 2 dead laptops on my floor, along with a dead e machine desktop, a Dell desktop sitting on top of some 800 dollar network printer, this laptop, my netbook, a router for the lan parties I hold (old gateway computer thats running clearos) and then my box running a tri-screen setup. Oh almost forgot my work computer that's sitting in my truck right now, and 3 LARGE tubs of random pc parts. *whips sweat off brow That's a lot of junk :D

Atm it has 2x512 and no free slots and I think 512 is the max the slots can hold.

Goober, Jul 2, 2011
  11. Goober

Wolfeymole Werewolf

What does a Crucial scan say Goober, the board may hold still for more perhaps.

I've run XP on a P1 266 chip with 256 before today although I must admit it was rather slow.

Wolfeymole, Jul 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question