New laptop for Dad

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Hummingbird, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Hello all! My dad's looking for a new laptop and has it narrowed down to a couple different ones and I had a processor question. Basically the only difference between the 2 laptops is that one has a Pentium T4300 (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800mhz FSB) and the other has a Core2Duo T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800mHz FSB). Is he going to notice a huge speed difference? Does cache make a ton of difference? He doesn't do any gaming or graphics or anything - mostly just email and internet and some ham radio software and stuff. Thanks bunches!

Hummingbird, Apr 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Hummingbird

medbor THQ Noob

in some benchmarks there is no difference, in some specifically cache intensive maybe 10-30%, but usually not notisable i think

medbor, Apr 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Hummingbird

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Obviously the 2nd cpu mentioned is slightly faster and has more cache but it's NOT cpu alone that makes a computer.

key points are:
    memory(RAM) - how much and what speed. Many laptops are coming out with 3gb(32 bit Windows does net see 4gb in full).
    disc - should now be SATA interface but also capacity important as is the spin speed of the disc -faster the better.

In the longer term key factors that affect performance are;
    a. just how much unnecessary software gets installed thus eating into system resources
    b. maintenace i.e. keeping everything up-to-date with MicrosoftUpdates. Keeping a keen eye out for any Adware/malware which impairs performance and last but not least - regularly deleting unneeded files and ensuring the drive gets defragmented often.

Maurice, Apr 8, 2010
  4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Thanks, guys! I keep telling him that but he doesn't believe me! Lol!

Well I guess last night he read some review online that said that the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M wasn't good and that people should swap it for any nVidia or Radeon graphics card. Is there anything really wrong with the 4500M? I've always liked Radeons, but my dad doesn't do anything with graphics or games. Would you just accept the 4500M that the laptop comes with or would you get something else?

Hummingbird, Apr 8, 2010
  5. Hummingbird

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

For most tasks the inbuilt Intel Graphics are fine. With a laptop you don't have much choice as you can't change the graphics system anyway.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    Maurice, Apr 8, 2010
  6. Hummingbird

medbor THQ Noob

the amount or ram is a LOT more important than the speed of it, there is not much conclusive difference in performance between different ram speeds i real programmes (single channel is not comparable though, since it bottlenecks the cpu). look at performance on i5 750 on 1156 versus i7 920 on 1366, theoretically they differ fifty percent in RAM speed, but real world performance is almost non-existent.
    The same really with harddrives, you should have enough thats the important part, sure ssds are fast, but you dont buy those on a budget, and my experience tells me that faster rotation means easier breakage.
    the other points are good though :D
    worth a note, GMA 4500 can't show HD content, so its down to the precessor if you have that card, and a laptop CPUs usually cant handle 1080p (if thats needed)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    medbor, Apr 8, 2010
  7. Hummingbird

Bart

In my point of view folowings are the best laptops.
    1)The Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch.
    2)Asus Zenbook Prime UX32VD-DB71.
    3)Dell Latitude E6430 ATG.
    4)Eurocom Scorpius.
    5)HP Folio 13-1020us
    6)Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 .
    7)Toshiba Portege R935-P322.

Bart, Dec 21, 2012
  8. Hummingbird

Bart

I wish my this post really helpful for you for choosing a laptop.
    mobile computer repairs

Bart, Dec 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question