New Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Nickweb, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Nickweb

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I've been considering building a new rig, as I'm sure some of you have noticed. Now, the thing is, I'm not too hot on certain issues eg- intel/AMD etc...

So I was thinking, 'hey those cool dudes on THQ might know a bit between them, I'll ask them'

SO, In everybodies opinion, what is better for a new (and small) gaming rig? Intel/AMD, P4, Dual core? I know I'll need a good amount of RAM, and a fairly decent Graphics Card, hopefully 512MB

I'm just after a bit of advice really, oh, and my budget is roughly £250-300, ($450-500 for you US guys) I dont need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, just the innards for the rig you see...

Nickweb, Oct 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Nickweb

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

According to Google £250 = 507 USD and £300 = 608 USD, so to us US people that increases your budget :p

So do you have a case already? Or any of the parts that you dont really have to buy?

Intel/AMD it depends on whats going to matter most to you when you use your box. Are you going to do a lot of video editing? Emails/Word Docs? Gaming? Lastly you can choose which one looks the coolest!

I will pull some info/specs/prices latter on tonight, right now I need to sleep!

Goober, Oct 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Nickweb

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

I priced out a fairly good AMD system for about $628....I may be building it when I have some cash to spend.

Anyways, you should definitely get a dual core processor. AMD or Intel is still totally preference as far as I can see.

As for ram, 2GB should be more than enough for anything, but leave room for expandability in case you ever need more.

Video card.....I'm going to be honest. I like ATI, but they haven't been keeping up as of late. Nvidia has the better cards overall, but there are certain things that the ATI cards do better. I guess it depends on what kind of games you are going to run, at what settings, and what hardware you are going to use.

spike228, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Nickweb

Ok, to clear things up, I will need to do video editing/rendering. And the games I will be playing are the ones like Counter Stike: Source, HL2 + ep1, ep2. Maybe X3 Reunion 2.

So that taken into consideration, which processor should I choose, then I can choose what MB I get. Oh, and I'll find a case from somewhere. I dont really want to order parts online, so what I really need is a shopping list of sorts, then I can haggle the price down at the local computer store, I'm good at haggling, you see ;)

Nickweb, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Nickweb

TheOneGreatX VIP Member

I would suggest a Core 2 Duo for the processor. Anything above the 2.14GHz model.

TheOneGreatX, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Nickweb

If you want a heavy duty rendering machine, you'll want 4GB.

spike228, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Nickweb

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

What Spike said. I routinely push 3.5 gigs of RAM use while doing heavy-duty rendering. But, given your budget, that might not be an option.

Along the same lines, I'd suggest looking at Core 2 Quad procs as an option. They'll cost a bit more, but it's so worth it when rendering times drop by two-thirds.

As for the video card, from the sound of things you don't need a DX10 card--which means that the X1950 Pro (512 MB version) might be a good fit.

Codex85, Oct 3, 2007
  8. Nickweb

ah, graphics cards, Which is better, PCI-E or AGP (dont throw any books at me) and do PCI-E slots look likenormal PCI slots?

I'm really not too clued up about PCI-E

Nickweb, Oct 3, 2007
  9. Nickweb

PCI-E hands down these days, a couple years back with all the bugs and the fact that PCI-E was so new, it was a toss up, but not anymore.

No

Goober, Oct 4, 2007
  10. Nickweb

Nickweb, Oct 22, 2007
  11. Nickweb

I think 600watts is over kill, even for a heavy duty rendering machine but what ever floats your boat :)

spike228, Oct 22, 2007
  12. Nickweb

Power Supply Connectors 1 x 24pin Main Power (20 + 4 pin)
    1 x 12V (P4)
    6x Peripheral
    1 x Floppy
    2 x SATA

If you want Core 2 Duo or better, this psu will not support your needs. Core 2 Duo requires two 2x2 molexes, and this one only has one. Don't get me wrong, you can buy a 1x4 molex converter that makes the line into a 2x2, but it is not recommended. Also if you want a new graphics card you will need a pci-e molex, which this psu does not have. Lastly, I do not think there is enough amps on the 12v rail to power a card worthy of editing/rendering/making graphics or videos.

You can always buy another psu and shove it in there, which brings me to issue two:
    That case is a micro ATX/baby AT, so your mobo will have to be one of the two. Another thing is the shuttle style of the case, you may have to find half height cards. If that is so, your graphics cards will be limited.

I am not trying to be a downer, but just making sure you make an informed decision.

Goober, Oct 23, 2007
  13. Nickweb

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

What goober said. Also, having only two SATA connectors is very limiting, particularly for someone working with potentially large files, who might need to expand their storage capacity later.

Graphics cards are big these days, as well, and they're getting larger. I think you'd be best served by at least a mid-tower case.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
    Codex85, Oct 23, 2007
  14. Nickweb

thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate it. Do you have any suggesions for a case which is as small as possible, the main thing is portability, I dont drive, and will be taking it to LAN parties

Nickweb, Oct 23, 2007
  15. Nickweb

A mid sized ATX tower should be fine, as long as you choose one that is reasonably light.

spike228, Oct 23, 2007
  16. Nickweb

Zeus Moderator

At first glance I thought that case said it was $600. I was like :shock what could possibly make that case worth $600!!??!!

*Edit- It's early. Leave me alone.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
    Zeus, Oct 24, 2007
  17. Nickweb

just think of it as a dollar a watt ;)

Nickweb, Oct 24, 2007
  18. Nickweb

Zeus Moderator

Remind me to never buy computer parts off of you.

I have this 4.0GHZ dual core processor for only $1/MB...

Zeus, Oct 24, 2007
  19. Nickweb

bargain!

Nickweb, Oct 24, 2007
  20. Nickweb

ok, so geforce7300GT(512MB) or Sapphire 1650x pro(256MB)? I heard that the sapphire beats the geforce, but the sapphire has half the megabytage of the geforce

Nickweb, Jan 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question