New Forum Idea

Discussion in 'Announcements, Site Problems & Feedback' started by Zeus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Zeus

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I think RSS feed quotes might help a bit, a little bit of automation might spur us all on from time to time.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Zeus

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Believe me when I say that this is not the only techie type forum where visits and postings have dropped. I'm an admin on a US based forum and that has gone very quite over the last couple of years.

Maurice, Jul 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

Please allow me to explain that we must never quote articles verbatim otherwise Google and other engines will penalise Ian big time.

If one is to offer a given article then it must be either reworded or one might offer the first paragraph along with a link to the rest of the article, this is permissible.

Nick

I offered the screenshot to reflect how it is here 90% of the time and articles or content of any description will increase traffic but until that happens the forum will be like a stagnant pond.

More traffic = more members, more members = more traffic, ergo.

I also realise that people have day jobs and as I have already mentioned it would be unreasonable to expect people to sit here for hours on end and I also realise that there are quite a few American members so there is a time factor aspect also.

A lot of forum's may be quiet but on the flip side there are a lot more that are getting thousands of hits every day because they have good content and are full of active members.

However I still have to maintain that the very first thing that must be done is rearrange and add to the forum structuring. A well laid out forum attracts people because they then know exactly where to post their issue.

Wolfeymole, Jul 5, 2011
  4. Zeus

Ian Administrator

I'll throw this out here as a wildcard idea, but it's a drastic change to THQ and I'd only do it if there was an overwhelming consensus...

Around 2004 there was a Dell Outlet discussion forum in the UK which I joined, basically it was a hangout that discussed deals appearing on the Dell Outlet website (really cheap PCs/Laptops at the time). A few years ago, it was going to close as the owner didn't have time for it anymore - so I took it over as I had just enough hosting space.

The site is still going (www.techforumz.com - I quite like the domain name) and doesn't get much activity, but it still gets a post or two most days. It doesn't have any active mods and I only check in every few days to make sure it's doing ok - I'm basically hosting it so that the information contained isn't lost.

However, the members on there are a great bunch - there's just little activity there as the Dell Outlet (the reason it started) has dried up.

Potentially, the two communities could be merged - as that might form a large enough membership base. Plus we could start from scratch in terms of setting things up... forums/categories/features etc... No threads, PMs or users would be lost. There is even some snazzier forum software we could switch to, which looks great and has some handy features (proper gallery, chat and so on). We could then set up a tech forum/portal that is much bigger and send out a mailshot to the existing membership to entice them back.

Ian, Jul 5, 2011
  5. Zeus

I'm having a mooch around that site now......

Maurice, Jul 5, 2011
  6. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Ditto

Zeus, Jul 5, 2011
  7. Zeus

I've had a mooch around too, and there are a number of posts I would have been able to help out on if i'd have known they were there.

I'm not opposed to the change, merging the two databases might be a headache, but could prove beneficial.

Nickweb, Jul 5, 2011
  8. Zeus

Ian Administrator

It's a quiet site, as it's turned primarily in to an archive - but I'm sure that there are a few members there who would increase activity if they were merged.

Like I say, it's just an idea I thought I'd throw out there :).

Out of the two domain names, which would you prefer? It's not a problem to re-direct on the other and I'd go for a different type of forum software if they were to merge.

Ian, Jul 5, 2011
  9. Zeus

Keept techiehq as the primary and set web forwarding on the other one to techiehq.

Maurice, Jul 5, 2011
  10. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

It's quite obvious what needs to be done here.

After looking at Tech Forumz I can see that the layout is completely different to THQ and the two forums have to be merged with Forumz as the only site especially as it has a .com address.

Depending on what servers are running each site Ian and their pricing to me it would be economical to merge the two onto a one single server.

Yes/No?

This can be the only way forward surely?

Wolfeymole, Jul 5, 2011
  11. Zeus

clifford VIP Member

Have you mentioned this with Tech Forumz as well?

clifford, Jul 5, 2011
  12. Zeus

I'd be on the TechieHQ side rather than forumz. forumz with a Z on the end can come over as somewhat childish, and might give the idea of a somewhat lesser quality knowledgebase.

I'd personally like to keep TechieHQ, although a .com url is more universal.

Nickweb, Jul 5, 2011
  13. Zeus

Ian Administrator

Nope, it was just an idea that I thought I'd throw out there to see what the thoughts on it were. I'd only do it if it was something that would improve both sites - but if it doesn't look like it would improve things or wasn't popular then we'll leave it as is :)

If we can get this place active without a merge or drastic technical changes, that would be even better. Do we need complete overhaul style changes to get things going, or would it work as it stands but with some less drastic changes?

Ian, Jul 5, 2011
  14. Zeus

the .com/.net TLD is going to be irrelevant soon anyway. ICANN are going to open the whole thing up so you could even have a site called 172.0.0.1 although I guess there will be some limitations in place. So domain names like - my.tech.help.center will be possible.

Maurice, Jul 6, 2011
  15. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

I'd merge the two and then get all the people that matter round the table to thrash things out.

The Dell aspect of Forumz is actually quite unique in my opinion.

Wolfeymole, Jul 6, 2011
  16. Zeus

the only issue with those unique TLD names is the price, some of the more unusual ones will be going for thousands

Nickweb, Jul 6, 2011
  17. Zeus

Sorry to be a pedant but you cannot have different degrees of uniqueness. either something is unique i.e. a one-off or it isn't. Terms such as 'very unique' 'quite unique' and so on have no meaning

[​IMG]

end of rant

Maurice, Jul 6, 2011
  18. Zeus

leadarrows American VIP Member

Hey now I am an example of "very unique" I mean just how many Indiana Farm boys do you think there are anyway?.....Oh yeah....OK ...never mind.....lol

leadarrows, Jul 6, 2011
  19. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

If one understood the context of the statement one would understand the grammatical way in which it was put Maurice. :)

Wolfeymole, Jul 6, 2011
  20. Zeus

One thing that DOES need revamping is the 'Articles' section. The ones in there are all out-of-date. Of course, with the spped of change in I.T. this will always be a problem.

Maybe we can each offer up new/revised articles to gon in there?

Maurice, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements