New Forum Idea

Discussion in 'Announcements, Site Problems & Feedback' started by Zeus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

In a nutshell these initial words from Zeus is what must happen to THQ.

If it doesn't then the forum is going nowhere fast if you'll allow me to be so bold.

The forum listings need to be completely reorganised.

The forum category names need to be changed and separate sub forums within the category need to be made as Zeus mentioned.

Without content that the spiders can pick up on THQ won't get any visitors.

A legend key needs to be introduced so people can see who's who in terms of hierarchy.

The chat box needs to go as it is superfluous.

Where are the Rules?

What is the policy regarding P2P?

A .com address would have been better but with even a .net address the forum should be bouncing.

Staff attendance needs to be improved if possible although it would be unreasonable to ask people to kind of "live" here.

After speaking with Zeus him and I have a boat load of ideas that can at least try to get this forum back where it belongs.

Just a few thoughts from the Wolf.

How say you Ian?

EDIT: I have found the Rules and posted them in the Introduce yourself section, you may wish to sticky the post it's up to you.

It's a pity I could not wrap them with a nice looking [url= but such is life. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    Wolfeymole, Jul 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Zeus

Ian Administrator

I'm open to changing most things on the forums, although the forums have already been re-arranged just a couple of weeks back - so I'd like to avoid any further major changes to the categories if possible (as the URLs change each time this happens).

P2P is a definite no though, as it could get the site (and me!) in to real trouble ;).

Ian, Jul 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Zeus

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I've edited your rules post and stickied it, as for staff attendance, theres usually one of us around every day, I for myself visit at least once per day and read ALL new posts.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  4. Zeus

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

I ain't staff but I am around from 8am to 5pm weekdays so keep an eye out for spammers.

Maurice, Jul 4, 2011
  5. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Here is an FYI:
    My email that is tied to this account is tied to my phone as well.
    THQ sends me an email when I get a Private Message.
    If you send me a PM I will know about it within seconds.
    If you see spam, or have an issue feel free to shoot me a PM and I will handle it ASAP.

Zeus, Jul 4, 2011
  6. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

I know you mean well Maurice but these muppets got under the radar momentarily and could have decorated the place with spam.

salepgcwmv, saleskalrw, salespzqiy, salesyqwrb,

Ian banned them rightly but note who took a look at them.

I realise that you personally could not have done anything had they done so, but gentlemen we need to look at every new member that joins the forum.

How may I apply to be on the staff?

Wolfeymole, Jul 4, 2011
  7. Zeus

If we start looking at every new member as a potential spammer then we lose our 'everyone inclusive' approach. New members have restrictions placed on their accounts for a limited number of posts, once said post count is reached, full access as a member is granted.
    We find this system has worked well, and as mentioned above, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity recently, the forums are well moderated. Just as a side note, the forums have been active since 2002, although orginally named BinaryDreams, we have had a solid moderating team for nearly a decade.

As far as I know we are not in need of extra moderators at present, maybe when things pick up and traffic and post counts start going up.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  8. Zeus

The number of mods has been trimmed as there were some 'mods' that hadn't been on the site for some time now.

If you wanna be a mod you'll have to join the queue I'm afraid some of us have been members quite a while now.

As Nickweb said previously, the number of staff on here is just about right. As a previous owner of a forum(now defunct) and an Admin on one and mod on another I also reckon the number is about right too.

Maurice, Jul 4, 2011
  9. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

Gentlemen I am not out to cause disruption in any shape or form but, like Zeus, to offer ideas to get the forum rolling again.

This can be no bad thing surely?

What I'm trying to say regarding a staff position is that we could discuss other ideas that are not in the main forum.

In fact I have said that this whole thread needs to be in the staff room so that THQ retains integrity.

Wolfeymole, Jul 4, 2011
  10. Zeus

I appreciate you not wanting to cause disruption, however, moving this thread into the staff room makes it unavailable to regular members who might have good ideas to contribute. It also means Maurice and you wouldnt be able to see it.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  11. Zeus

Ian Administrator

Until the forums grow I don't think we'll be adding any moderators, as between us we all check in most days and read all of the posts on the site. Once activity picks up then we can expand as there are lots of good candidates :).

It's pretty rare that we get spam now, as those that get past Akismet and StopForumSpam are zapped pretty quick - the report post button notifies all mods with a couple of clicks.

Activity is the main problem, as we've got lots of people willing to answer questions, but not many questions to answer ;).

Ian, Jul 4, 2011
  12. Zeus

I've got cat's eyes so can see in the dark :lol2

Maurice, Jul 4, 2011
  13. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

One can never have too many moderators.

As Zeus has said and I agree with him, what is needed here is forum content.

If the forum wants to attract new members there has to be content which the search engines will pick up on.

I've looked at the threads I have made and the amount of views that they have had in the meaningless amount of time that I have been here are quite good.

THQ needs some hard work putting into it from all the staff.

Simple as that.

Wolfeymole, Jul 4, 2011
  14. Zeus

Feel free to post as much content as you wish

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  15. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

As I wish?

This needs to be a concentrated effort from all.

Would this be unacceptable?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Wolfeymole, Jul 4, 2011
  16. Zeus

Wolfeymole Werewolf

Let me just offer this made two minutes ago to reflect the situation that is happening.

Attached Files:

Wolfeymole, Jul 4, 2011
  17. Zeus

Ok Wolfeymole, I have to ask, what exactly is the intention behind posting a screengrab of the active users screen. It points out that there are numerous guests on the boards, and yourself and Ian.

People here have day jobs and dont sit on the forums all day hoping someone will post. If there is an issue, the relevant people get alerted, myself included.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  18. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

And here lies the problem. As Wolf mentioned, we had a nice long conversation via PM.
    I agree with the points that he is making. 1 or 2 people can't turn this board around, it needs to be a group effort.
    The 1st few days after the re-org I was posting current events and tech news like it was going out of style.
    During that time frame, we got 2 new members and a boat load of spider hits.
    Shortly after, my duties changed, and I could no longer spend my day monitoring THQ and searching the web for content.
    Since I was the only one bringing in content, when I stopped, traffic tapered back down to almost nothing.

Fast forward to Wolf showing up, and here he is bringing in loads of content.
    His screen shot shows the results.
    The last time I saw 80 guests hitting this site was right after the re-org when I was flooding the site with content.

The weight of this site's success or failure falls squarely on the shoulders of the staff.
    I stopped flooding the site with content because it was taking 3 or 4 hours a day of reading news articles and searching for the latest gadgets to find good content to post.
    Since I could no longer do that from work, where is the motivation to come home and spend that time knowing that I will be the only one?
    I openly admit that I need to step up my game again.
    Don't think that I am excluding myself when I say the staff needs to step.
    I am also one to blame for the site's current state.

Nick is right, we have a solid staff.
    The problem I see is, that everyone has gotten used to it being dead around here and no one wants to dig in and turn it around.
    Really, who wants to hang around on a dead forum?

That is my :2cents. Honestly I agree with Wolf here and it's not very often that the Ban Stick sides with a newcomer.

Zeus, Jul 4, 2011
  19. Zeus

Maybe I'm failing to see the point in his screengrab. It IS clear to see the forums are lacking in activity, but at I don't think wolfs screen was to demonstrate how when a thread is updated it brings traffic, rather I'm assuming it was to prove a point about members current activity.

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
  20. Zeus

clifford VIP Member

Sadly I never knew of these post because I was relying on the "Get New Posts" page. My only guess would be that something was glitch-ed during the reconstruct, however it should be fixed now. :)

I have actually thought about leaving a few times myself because of the lack in traffic.

Would posting links and quotes from my RSS feeds help out?
    This would place newly created article up for discussion on the forums.
    What about posting new driver updates and new hardware releases?

clifford, Jul 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements