New computer nothing but problems , why WHY? :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boxrick, Dec 31, 2003.

1. boxrick

boxrick

When i first built my system:-

Asus p4p800 - vm motherboard
    1 GB pc 3200 ddr ram
    pentium 3.0ghz 800 fsb
    Powercolour radeon 9800 XT 256 mb
    80 GB hard drive

i bought a hercules radeon 9800 pro 256 mb, and used that in it for a month ( took it back due to it being faulty booting up with lines accross the screen and getting artifacts ingames ) , so then while i was waiting for the XT to come out i used a geforce MX 420 , and seriously overclocked it and ran that for a month , and it seemed incredibly stable never froze ingames etc etc, the only game i had trouble with was splintercell all my other games including ut 2003 ran in full spec on 1280 x1024 quite happily..

Anyway i finally got my new radeon 9800 XT and it seemed to run like a dream , i uninstalled the older nvidia drivers and tryed to manually clear out the registry, and installed the latest ones from the ATI website.

However this graphics card started freezing up ingames after playing them for a while ( star wars galaxies mainly ) i thought this was due to the power supply , so i decided to upgraded my system i bought a nice new CPU fan , a centurion coolermaster case and a qtec 550 W psu.

However i thought the problem was solved, but just recently it has started freezing up again, when it freezes sometimes it tries to load the blue screen of death , and then no writing comes up other times everything just gives up the mouse light goes off and i get a nasty fizzling sound from my speakers till i reboot.

I have recently formatted the hard drive and turned off fast write and im still having problems

So whats the problem due to?

Faulty motherboard?
    Power supply still not good enough?
    Or is it something simple like a conflict which is causing it too freeze up ?

www.fireshroud.co.uk/crash1.jpg <---- this is when the computer crashed it gradually rose cpu temperature until it was a stable 55 degrees then it froze , maybe this is the problem ? ( line is on the crash point )

www.fireshroud.co.uk/crash2.jpg <--- the line is on the crash point again ( the voltages seem pretty stable so not a psu problem ... )

www.fireshroud.co.uk/crash3.jpg <--- temps again from earlier yesterday , no crash and a stable 55 degress when ingame ...

boxrick, Dec 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. boxrick

James Photojournalist

What does the memory dump say? Go to Admin Tools and Event Viewer, then System log.

Also, are you using the CAT 3.10 drivers with DX9b?

James, Jan 1, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. boxrick

Kenny03

im just guessing here but could it be that ur vid card is not compatible with ur motherboard

Kenny03, Jan 1, 2004
  4. boxrick

boxrick

boxrick, Jan 1, 2004
  5. boxrick

Heretic_Gate

what sound card you have in there? onboard? btw what program is that? looks handy...:p

Heretic_Gate, Jan 1, 2004
  6. boxrick

James Photojournalist

Probably the System Error logs, but is that the time your PC has crashed?

James, Jan 1, 2004
  7. boxrick

Core in pounce mode Moderator

With Radeons, a good rule of thumb is to use the drivers shipped with the card, and not upgrade to newer drivers unless something isn't working. Might want to try that.

Core, Jan 1, 2004
  8. boxrick

SwordWielder Master of Swords VIP Member

You must of had bad experiences with Radeons. I've had about 4 or 5, most the older generations and 2 that are new. They all are running CAT 3.10s with no issues.

Happy new year everyone!

SwordWielder, Jan 1, 2004
  9. boxrick

boxrick

im using a creative pci sound card.
    and using catalyst 3.9 at the moment

the other pci is an isdn pci card

boxrick, Jan 2, 2004
  10. boxrick

boxrick

asus probe

boxrick, Jan 2, 2004
  11. boxrick

boxrick

12. boxrick

boxrick

boxrick, Jan 2, 2004
  13. boxrick

sashswash

After doing a bunch of google searches, i've found this thread! My computer is doing the same crash types. Sometimes it doesn't do it for a while, but other times it does it a few times in a day. Also, certain things always crash it. My symptoms are: the mouse light turns off, and i get the "crackling" effect in my speakers, and my mouse pointer becomes unresponsive. Since i have an AIW video card, i can watch TV. Usually, the TV will keep playing even though the mouse has locked up. Sometimes i get the "crackling/static" in the speakers, other times i dont. Here is my specs:

2.8 P4
    Intel d845pesv MB
    ati AIW 9700 pro
    1024 ram
    two 60 GB hd's
    soundblaster audigy 2 pci
    windows xp home

were you successful in figuring out your problem? If so, please respond ASAP. Thanks!

sashswash, Oct 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question