Need suggestions for friends computer

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Feartheterp, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Feartheterp

Feartheterp noob! VIP Member

My friend is getting ready to build a new computer. He needs a nice gaming computer that will be able to play games like Battlefield2 and Counter Strike Source with no lagg. He will be buying everything proubly from newegg.com unless anyone can think of some other sites that can be trusted (hate tigerdirect they are crap)
    Ok heres some info

Budget: 700-1200
    Needs: Everything, that includes Mouse, keyboard and monitor

Processor: Leaning more torwards AMD because of price but if anyone can recommend a nice affordable processor that is Intel Id consider it

Motherboard : Looking torwards Asus but open to other brands. Needs to have PCI-E slot and pci slots

Graphics card: PCI-E card and open to either Nvidea or ATI

RAM: I really like crucial ram. Proubly going to get 2 gigs ( If needs more for these games let me know)

Hard drive: I really have no idea about hard drives.

Case: Proubly a tower or whatever will fit the motherboard

Monitor: He wants an LCD screen but if thats to much he can go with crt.

Mouse and Keyboard : gonna proubly get a logitech combo

Also anything recommend for cooling or any extras needed in building a computer ill take into suggestion. Basically Im not up to date with all of todays latest technology with Dual core and quad core that I hear about today. Basically I want the best bang for the buck for my friend so that he can have a nice gaming computer for 3-4 years. If anyone can price up some nice parts that would really be appretiated. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
    Feartheterp, Oct 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Feartheterp

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Well for 700-1200 dollars you (Im pretty sure) can duplicate my pc, the only draw back (other than its awsomeness, lol) is that it will not be able to play next gen games. So I'll give you more of an outline for what you or your friend should be looking for.

Case: ATX mid-size with atlease one front fan, and 2 rear fans/mounts for fans
    PSU: Enermax, Antec, ThermalTake, SilverStone You will want a 500+ PSU and about 38 amps on the 12v rail(s)
    MOBO: Many to choose from, depends on what you want. Dual channel, Sata, raid 0+1, Pci-e 16x (its the one that replaced agp)
    Graphics: Depends, if he waits till the second week into november prices will drop because the G80 core from Nvidia will be released. I would suggest a 7600 or a X1800, unless he wants to wait for DX10.
    Ram: I like Corsair, but Crusial is good along with Mushkin.
    HDDs: I stick with my brand loyalty, Seagate. Others will say Western Digital, or Maxtor.
    Monitor: For a LCD ViewSonic makes some awsome screens, and with the right timing you can get them for cheap.

Goober, Oct 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Feartheterp

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

Proc: You can get an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz for $220. Most seem to find the stock HSF adequate, but you may want to spring for an after-market cooler from Zalman if you plan to overclock.
    Case: What goober said.
    PSU: Ditto.
    Mobo: ASUS is a solid choice. So is Gigabyte or Intel.
    Graphics: I prefer ATI cards (I find the output is actually more vivid and crisp than nVidia cards, but perhaps that's just me). If the system is going to be used for games at all, any Radeon card above an X1600 Pro should do it (at least for a while).
    RAM: What Goober said, plus Kingston.
    HDD: I like WD, but as Goober said it's really a matter of preference. All three major brands are good, just make sure you get something with at least an 8 Meg cache and that runs at 7200 RPM.
    Monitor: I actually like Samsung and Hyundai, sleek LCDs from both of which regularly go on sale at NewEgg.

Codex85, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Feartheterp

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Yes ATi does produce better graphics for the loss of fps as compaired to Nvidia which has for most games more fps for the loss of cleaner graphics.

Goober, Oct 18, 2006
  5. Feartheterp

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

And one doesn't actually need 100+ FPS to play a game.

Codex85, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Feartheterp

TheOneGreatX VIP Member

finally! someone who realizes this!

TheOneGreatX, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Feartheterp

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

I would take Codex's suggestion and use an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. They are far superior to AMD processors right now and they are relatively cheap.

Dave601, Oct 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question