Need new computer advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leadarrows, Feb 7, 2005.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows American VIP Member

I'm thinking about replacing my hp pavilion 523n I live in a dusty house it's over a year old and it doesn't have enough operating capacity for all the junk I like to keep on it. I keep a lot of pictures for my job. I run Quick Books,Excel,Photo Shop and some LandScape design software pulse several other things. I know I want to upgrade to Windows Professional so what else do I need to know if I go shopping in the morning? I can afford to spend about a grand or so on just the tower. I wish I could build it myself but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
    Suggestions please. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
    leadarrows, Feb 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. leadarrows

James Photojournalist VIP Member

If you don't want to build your own computer, I would look into a HP business model. Specifically the DC7100 series. Very nice systems.

If you want to learn computers more, building one is the best way.

James, Feb 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. leadarrows

stubby711 Sigh, nooblet $$

Are you looking specifically for a Windows PC? Or would you consider a MAC?

stubby711, Feb 8, 2005
  4. leadarrows

Cuddlez I'm Ron Burgundy? VIP Member

I would recommend going here: www.mwave.com. You can choose to have them build a system for you for 79.99 plus the parts. Just pick out the components you want and they will build/test/load software on it for you then ship it to you.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/prodncust.hmx?

Theres the page for it. They generally have the cheapest prices on stuff I can ever find, and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

As a matter of fact, I would recommend you wait a while before upgrading. Intel will have a few new processors coming out soon and if you can afford them they will be much better (dual core). Otherwise, they will drive the current prices down, so either I would suggest waiting a while.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
    Cuddlez, Feb 9, 2005
  5. leadarrows

I just about went and got the one James mentioned last night. Looks like being lazy might have paid off this time. Thanks Cuddlez I will do just as you say. That DC 7100 series looks pretty good though. I talked to a guy at Circuit City and he recommended an extra fan to help with my dust problems but I think I need to look at dust covers or something.
    AS for the Mac systems stubby711 I have several software programs including $500.00 in QuickBooks alone that wont work on a mac I believe so I can't do that I don't think. I don't know any thing about the differences in the systems but thats my understanding. Is that right? I mean I have Excel, Photo shop,and several spy ware programs that add up to some major bucks. Wouldn't I have to get Mac versions of that stuff?
    So Cuddlez how long of a wait are we talking about?

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  6. leadarrows

D Schrute Assistant Sensei VIP Member

Is your computer directly on the floor? That usually is what caused my dust problems.

D Schrute, Feb 9, 2005
  7. leadarrows

No old farm house with remodeling going on and I live with a pack of dogs. LOL

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  8. leadarrows

My dad is re-modeling his house, and his electronic equipment gets pretty dusty too. I don't believe you can purchase the HP model I listed from a store. It's a business model, so you'd have to purchase it through HP.

BTW, this model has DDRII, a SATA HDD, PCI Express, Intel 915 chipset (I belive), and of course the LGA 775 socket.

For what you need to do, this PC is enough, you don't need a dual-core processor.

If you are willing to build a computer, let me know and I can get you started. If not, then I would highly recommend this model. It's a small form factor, so it can fit right under your monitor.

James, Feb 9, 2005
  9. leadarrows

I was looking at in on the hp site James and the one that caught my eye was the HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 Convertible Minitower.
    Now lets just say I would really like to build my own. Well first off I should say the reason I was going to just buy one at Circuit City was the fact that I have a charge card for there and my business card is maxed out right now. It happens to me every winter because of the work I'm in slows down so much in the winter. Any way if we ...and I do me we cause I can't do it with out you. LOL So if we build one I assume we start with a tower and I can afford to get that now and by spring ...may or so we could start stuffing it. So I want a tower that will serve my needs for as long as possible. What do I get?
    I like the idea of building my own because it wont come programed full of half working software some one is trying to sell and games I'll never play.
    I'm talking myself into this even as I type. LOL Lets do it. What do I do first?

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  10. leadarrows

Personally, I would get rid of the debt before even considering a large purchase such as this.

Choose a case. Do you want a desktop that will go under your monitor or a tower? You may want to consider getting one with a slot for a 120mm fan (dust blowing power).

D Schrute, Feb 9, 2005
  11. leadarrows

If I wait till then I'll never get it. I owe some 51 thousand on lines of credit for business equipment I have and I"m getting ready to increase that by another thirty thousand for some farm equipment I buying from my grandmothers estate. Also trying to get a loan for $420,000.00 to buy my grandmothers farm (102 acres). I own a construction clean-up service and a landscape company so large debts are just part of it for me for a while. LOL

So I like towers but that could just be because I haven't ever had anything else. Whats the pros and cons of each? I don't need fancy lights like I have seen some have on theirs. Expandability interests me more. Room for an extra fan is a good Idea for sure. Any good web sites to look at examples that you could recommend would help. In the mean time I'll Google and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the responses so far. :)

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  12. leadarrows

D Schrute, Feb 9, 2005
  13. leadarrows

Good grief theres hundreds to chose from.

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  14. leadarrows

These Antec cases are high quality cases. You will have plenty of room as well.

After you decide on a case, you need to decide on how much $ you want to spend on the "life-time" of your computer. There are new Intel boards that just came out that have new chipsets. With those chipsets PCI-Express, LGA 775 socket (takes a new, more expensive processor), DDRII (more expensive memory) and SATA connectivity for Hard drives and CD/DVD drives. Or you could go with an older board that does not feature all of the listed specs.

James, Feb 9, 2005
  15. leadarrows

PlusView1000AMG
    Metallic Gray SOHO File Server
    Features:
    • 10 drive bays for expandability
    • Lockable side panel with high-clarity, scratch-resistant window, vent, and 80mm fan mount
    • Mounting plate for standard ATX or ATX12V power supply
    • Front mounted USB 2.0 & IEEE 1394 (FireWire®, i.Link®) ports
    • Washable Air filter on the front
    • Lockable swing out side panel with a handle
      - Quick release drive bays with release lever
      - Snap-in fan mounts
    • Drive rails for 5.25" devices
    • Removable Side Panels
    • Removable Drive Cages for 3.5” drives
    • 10 Drive Bays:
      - External: 4 x 5.25", 2x 3.5"
      - Internal: 4 x 3.5"
    • Cooling capacity: up to 5 x 80mm fans
      - 2 rear (installed)
      - 1 front (optional)
      - 1 HDD (optional)
      - 1 side panel (optional)
    • Fan Specs:
      - RPM 2000
      - CFM 17.3
      - dB(A) 25
    • Motherboards up to Standard ATX
    This one has a washable filter and seems to be large enough for all my needs and then some. You can add lights to this one which I don't need but you don't have too so thats not a problem. Price is about $150.00 which is OK by me. What do you think? Heres the link: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=90510

leadarrows, Feb 9, 2005
  16. leadarrows

Cuddlez I'm Ron Burgundy? VIP Member

That is a sweet case. Its what my case wants to be :). (I have a cheapy knock-off Chen Ming case). It doesn't appear to come with a PSU, so I would also recommend sticking with an Antec PSU as well. I would suggest this one:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24480

since its ATX v2.0 you won't have to worry about upgrading later if you have a ATX v1.0 motherboard. (The v2.0 is backwards compatible with v1.0 motherboards.)

Also as I said earlier Intel will be introducing a few new processors in the second quarter. So... figure by June there will be dual-core processors out. As James had stated you won't really be needing dual core... BUT! If you can wait till then, the prices on the now top-of-the-line processors and mobo's will go down, so you can likely save yourself quite a bit of money.

Also might I suggest for your reading pleasure (I hope its not a chore...)

http://forums.binarydreams.us/showthread.php?t=4641

That thread pretty much turned into me blabbing like an AMD fan-boy. But there are a lot of good links that I told the other guy to check out. Anyway make sure you shop around and KNOW what it is your buying, that is the only thing I regret about my first computer purchase. It's a good system don't get me wrong but I wish I would have known what I was getting so I could have focused more on the things that really matter (like less on getting THE fastest processor and more on a better video card and RAM).

This is getting long so I am going to stop now...

Cuddlez, Feb 9, 2005
  17. leadarrows

I want too thank everyone for there help and I hope I didn't wast anyones time because I chickened out and bought a system from hP. My computer is dieing fast and I just got worried that it would fail before I could build my own. I may still get that case I like and take my time and build one anyway just to do it but this way I wont get caught with my PC down which would really be a problem with my business and all. So I thought I would post what I got. And say thanks again.

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 CMT
    HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 CMT
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2
    Intel® Pentium® 4 560 (3.60E GHz) with 800-MHz Front Side Bus, 1024KB L2 Cache
    Thermal Kit - dc7100 CMT
    1GB DDR Synch Dram PC3200 (400-MHz) Non ECC (2 x 512)
    1.44MB Diskette Drive for CMT
    160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA
    160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA (2nd)
    SATA Cable 2nd CMT (If 2nd Hard Drive is chosen, cable must be added.)
    16X 4.7GB DVD+R/RW Drive
    48X/32X/48X/16X Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive
    Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900
    Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit ethernet
    Integrated Intel® audio with premium internal speaker
    No keyboard
    No mouse
    Agere V92 56K PCI SoftModem, full-height for CMT
    Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional
    dc7100 Country kit for CMT and SFF
    dc7100 Restore CD
    3/3/3 (parts/labor/next business day on-site) limited warranty
    I already have a NEC MulitSync LCD 1700V Monitor and Logitech Keyboard and mouse.

leadarrows, Feb 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question