My Television Stupidity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave601, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Dave601

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

So, my mom told me that tomorrow she wants to make a run to Best Buy to look at TV's for my dad for Christmas. My TV knowledge is lacking so tell me what I should buy. Here is what we will be looking for:
    • Want it to be HD compatible for the future
    • Under $1000
    • Good, high quality brand
    Tell me what else I should be looking for in a TV and make some recommendations. I refuse to have to listen to what the Best Buy guys have to say about anything because I am pretty sure that I know dogs that know more about electronics than they do...:D

Edit: I was thinking about something like this, but then again I am clueless...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
    Dave601, Dec 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Dave601

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Well if I was you I would listen to them, the best buy ppl (Im kidding, I joke :p )
    Uhm... I really dont know what brands are better than others, but the link looks good to me, he may want something a little bigger than that, and it weighs a lot, 167 pounds! :shock

Goober, Dec 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Dave601

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

It's a 30" CRT. It's gonna be heavier than an LCD. :p

Codex85, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Dave601

Yeh, well my 36" TV ways about 80lbs, but its not HD or flat screen, or anything special

Goober, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Dave601

James Photojournalist

That TV is not bad. The Trinitron is a good tube, I have a 34" widescreen HDTV, it's amazing, better than any Plasma or DLP out there. So you're looking in the range of 30?

The model I have, the XBR960 is an amazing TV, it's out of your price range, but the next couple of models down are pretty decent as well, such as this one. You definatly want to get the 16x9 TV for the future and one that supports atleast 720p.

I would go with CRT still, it still has the clearest, sharpest and best picture compared to the other early technologies out there.

James, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Dave601

Goober, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Dave601

Oh wow! That is definitely what I am going to do...fill out a few simple questions and get a free plasma TV shipped right to my door. Perfect! ;)

But seriously, we are going to go to Best Buy pretty soon and just look at some TVs and see which ones simply look nicer. My mom told me later that she would rather have a thinner (LCD or Plasma) TV because of space constraints, but we will see...

Dave601, Dec 20, 2005
  8. Dave601

James Photojournalist

Make sure you compare the LCD and CRT than.... look for black blacks, white whites, contrast and for ghosting / fast motion clarity.

James, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Dave601

So just got back shopping and I am think that we will be buying a plasma TV. Turns out my mom is willing to spend a little more on a television than what I thought.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with LCD TV's. I thought that their picture was not sharp and just didn't look right for some reason. Plasma was beautifully crisp. I would seriously buy a CRT TV except that they are so big and a big TV is something that we don't need. Any particular brands that anyone would recommend for plasma TV's? The one in particular that we were looking at was made by Panasonic. It was this one except that the price in the store was much less.

Dave601, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Dave601

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

i'm not sure but are flat CRT's out yet? by flat, i don't mean flat screen, i mean actually flat....like LCD flat.

spike228, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Dave601

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

make sure they have a digital reciever built in, unless you have a digibox or something to that effect, in my experience, crt are still better as they havent perfected the lcd or plasma displays yet

Nickweb, Dec 21, 2005
  12. Dave601

James Photojournalist

Hrmf, well I if you do go with a Plasma, just make sure it has the new technology that "washes" the screen. I am not really up on Plasma that much, but I heard there's some sort of new technology resolves the quick burn-in time and possible the color fading issue. Go to www.avsforum.com, they are TV guru's.

James, Dec 21, 2005
    Dave601 likes this.
  13. Dave601

sethzag Leaping tall bldg

James: The term you're thinking of is "orbiting". That is a default feature on almost all plasma's nowadays.

If the plasma going to be used for only watching television? Or are you planning on using a computer on it? The orbiting feature helps prevent burn-in issues, but you can still do it regardless. So watching any channels with banners in them will eventually burn in. Also, watching 4:3 programs on your widescreen can burn in. I know that ESPN HD will show some of their upconverted programming with side banners.

Also realize that although the manufacturer will tell you it accepts all signals 720p, 1080i, etc. That they usually down-convert and don't display at true resolution. Which probabaly is still plenty good and looks killer.

Also, 42" is the most commonly made size for plasma. So usually that size is where you can find the best deals.

I have A/V background, so I can try to answer any other questions.

Good luck! :2cents

EDIT: I have good luck with Samsung, such as this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat33900050026&id=1110265592581

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
    sethzag, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Dave601

Okay...after doing some reading I realize that plasma is not perfect, but still the leading candidate. Questions:

1. Around 2009 all TV signals will be digital. Does this mean HD or just digital (what level of digital 720p, 1080i, ect.)? i.e. is it necessary for me to buy a TV that supports 1080i, or will 720p be fine?

2. Is there a significant difference between digital cable and regular analog cable?

3. I have read that plasma TV's do last as long as CRT or LCD TV's. How long are they going to last?

Probably forgetting a few, but if I think of them I will post. Thanks guys!

Dave601, Dec 21, 2005
  15. Dave601

Wow there dude, its like asking when are we goin gto get a 3d GUI for computers. ;)

1. The HD just splits all the signals up (red yellow and green) then once it gets to your tv it displays it all at once. It depends on the tv station and the programs if is going to be HD.
    Im not sure what Digital Cable is all about, We just pay the cheapest we can get for tv and thats 40 bucks a month for BASIC. Also, for any tv, its kinda like a car/truck Do you know how long it will last? Diesel will last longer than regular gas, but I dont know by how much.

Goober, Dec 21, 2005
  16. Dave601

I'm sure you're not lacking for articles to read on this subject, huh Dave?

1. Around 2009 all TV signals will be digital. Does this mean HD or just digital (what level of digital 720p, 1080i, ect.)? i.e. is it necessary for me to buy a TV that supports 1080i, or will 720p be fine?

You're right, around 2009 service providers are supposed to be all digital. Remember though that the previous "all-digital" date was spring of 2006. They included restrictions on this: namely a percentage of households had to have digital capable televisions. Since they weren't going to make that goal, they pushed back to 2009.

That is why currently all manufacturers have to make any television over 32" with a built-in digital tuner (ATSC). Eventually they will make all sets with this type of tuner.

Digital does not mean high-definition, which includes 720p or 1080i.
    A DVD player is considered a digital source, but it is only 480p. That is all that will be required when broadcasters switch over to all-digital broadcasts.

So, I would say that a televions with a vertical resolution of 720 lines would be sufficient.

2. Is there a significant difference between digital cable and regular analog cable?

Overall, digital cable and analog cable are the same. With the exception of any added high-definition programming, which would be a better quality.

In the effort to keep up with satellite's large channel lineups, Cable companys are taking the same (usually crappy) channels and converting them to digital signals. They are trying to fit more channels with their limited pipeline (2.2GHZ), and then decoding the digital signal back to their original analog splendor.

If you have digital cable, without HD channels, you are usually getting more stations, music channels and pay-per-view channels. But not usually better quality.

3. I have read that plasma TV's do last as long as CRT or LCD TV's. How long are they going to last?

Plasma's are rated for 60,000 hours of use until half-life. Which if you figure 8 hours a day / 7 days a week will get you 20 years. Which as we all know would be unexpected for consumer electronics to last that long. But life expectancy shouldn't be a concern.

Hope this helps! :thumbs

EDIT: Finally a subject I can contribute to

sethzag, Dec 21, 2005
    Zeus and Dave601 like this.
  17. Dave601

Yes the amount of information on this subject is overwhelming to say the least, but that helped a ton. :thumbs

I am going to talk more with my mom and see what she thinks. Thanks for the posts.

Dave601, Dec 21, 2005
  18. Dave601

Zeus Moderator

I thought I was up to speed on TV technology, but Sethzag puts me to shame. Way to go.

Zeus, Dec 26, 2005
  19. Dave601

James Photojournalist

So what did you end up buying?

James, Dec 26, 2005
  20. Dave601

Thanks Zeus, and I'm with James. What did you decide?

sethzag, Dec 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question