Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe in Win 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tosca, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi everyone

A friend has a laptop with Windows 2000 and has just run into a problem when he tried to turn it on. I understand that he's not installed anything or done any system tweaks. He received the error message "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt". He can't get to safe mode, nor can he get to DOS (I'm not sure if it's normally possible with Windows 2000) because the same error is generated after he pressed F8 and decided to go to safe mode. From his description, there is an option of reverting to the last known good configuration (after F8 ) but this also generates the same error.

Is it possible to replace this file without going to the trouble of seeing a computer engineer? Can the hard drive be "interrogated" from another PC (maybe USB to USB or via ethernet cable?) and the missing or corrupt file "dropped" into place using (for instance) windows explorer? I guess that an engineer might be able to take out the hard drive and put it into some form of caddy and then hook that up to a desktop but I realise that accessing the hard drive in a laptop in this way is not as easy as with a desktop.

Any ideas that someone who doesn't have hardware experience can try or will he have to take it for an expert to resolve?

Many thanks for your time.

Tosca, Sep 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Tosca

James Photojournalist

First thing to try is to boot from the Windows 2000 CD and run Recovery Console. Run the /fixboot /? command for the appropriate command.

James, Sep 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Thank you James. I'll pass the message on. Fingers crossed that it works!

Tosca, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

The CD which came with his laptop is not a normal Windows 2000 installation CD but one which the manufacturer sent out as an OS reinstallation CD. That doesn't surprise me as I've had IBM and Sony laptops which came with manufacturer-specific installation CDs. He and I fear that if he puts the CD in, it will ask if he wants to reformat and reinstall the OS, and we assume that this will mean that his files are overwritten.

Any other ideas, short of seeing an expert?

Tosca, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Some progress - he managed to reboot the laptop whilst the CD was in got it into DOS. We managed to find 2 copies of ntoskrnl.exe, made copies which we renamed then overwrote each file with the other in turn. We did this in DOS and it brought back lots of memories!

Unfortunately, none of these manoeuvres worked so I suspect that the problem may lie within boot.ini. I think that it can be edited via DOS using the Edit command but I don't know where to tell him to look for this file, nor do we know what should be in the boot.ini file. Any ideas where we go from here?

Thanks again.

Tosca, Sep 27, 2005
  6. Tosca

James Photojournalist

Boot.ini lies right on the C: drive. This is what a normal boot.ini file should look like:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

James, Sep 27, 2005
  7. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Thank you James. The OS is Windows 2000, rather than XP. Is it simply a matter of replacing "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" with "Microsoft Windows 2000" in boot.ini as you have quoted above?

Tosca, Sep 28, 2005
  8. Tosca

James Photojournalist

Yea, You can put in anything you want there.

James, Sep 28, 2005
  9. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Thank you James.

I wasn't sure if any of the other information that you quoted was related specifically to XP Pro or if it could be used on a Windows 2000 computer. We'll have a go as we have nothing to lose! We can't boot the thing into normal life so I doubt that we'll do any harm by trying a new boot.ini file. Needless to say, I'll ensure that the original one is moved safely to a temporary folder and that the attributes on the new file are set correctly as a hidden system file.

Tosca, Sep 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question