Mass Pop Ups and Windows Wont start

Discussion in 'Software' started by board3r, Sep 8, 2003.

1. board3r

board3r

Ok this is really 2 different problems one on my computer one on a friends.

Problem #1
    On my computer about 3 - 4 times a day i get a mass pop up coming from one ip adress. i kid not about 50 blank screens that just if anything is mad annoying. the only real way to get out is Ctrl+alt+del or shutdown power button style.

Problem #2
    The exact error is an ntfs.sys error on boot, tried hooking up another drive and putting the corrupted to slave, (both running windows XP), same error, (no both drives arent corrupted because the other one works fine without the corrupted one hooked as slave), windows CD gives me the same error no matter what option i choose, tried running chkdsk and everything just cant get into the recovery console. basically now ive conceeded that its a lost cause and i just need to recover the data off the hard drive and then swipe it, does anyone know of a program that i can use to boot from floppy and move the contents of my corrupted hard drive to my new primary hd

PLZ ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :-D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
    board3r, Sep 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. board3r

James Photojournalist

I see you are from Maine too. There's only a few from Maine here.

For problem 1, are they normal pop-ups with pictures and colored text, or are they Windows Messege boxes? If so, Go to Control Panel and then go to Admin Tools | Services | Disable Messenger.

Problem 2, you can't get into Recovery Console via booting from the CD?

James, Sep 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. board3r

board3r

Yup im a mainer. The pop ups is just like a browser normal page but completely blank except for the ip in the upper most left corner.. (above file and stuff)

Problem 2 . its a friends comp so im not up to par on everything . but if i remember correctly he has tried that 2 and got nothing .

board3r, Sep 8, 2003
  4. board3r

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Then you need a pop up stopper on IE or someting.

As for Problem 2: James knows more about that stuff than I do, he can probably help you :D

S Walch, Sep 8, 2003
  5. board3r

James Photojournalist

Oh so it's like an ad you would get going to some sites then? Can you post a screen shot of it? Try the popup stopper too and run Ad-Aware just incase.

As for problem 2, I would say that as long as your PC can turn on and your CD and HDD works, you can get into Recovery Console to run a Repair.

James, Sep 8, 2003
  6. board3r

board3r

Ok heres the deal on the pop ups.. This is not an ordinary pop up problem cuz if it was i have the intelligence to fix it. I have panicware , and i run adaware once a week. The screen is blank .. no ads nothing just blank. and there is 1 after another if i try to close it ,, it just starts more. and it maxes out at 50 or 60 (not sure try not to let it go there ) .

problem 2
    From person with the comp\/
    yes you SHOULD be able to get into recovery console, but as stated above, it boots to the windows CD, asks for you to input an option, upon entering an option; it gives me the same error as if i was starting windows, NTFS.SYS ERROR, it sounds stupid but its the truth, unless you know exactly how to fix the problem, ive prolly tried it. do you know of any programs that i can boot from floppy to access the hard drive and get the info off of it to my C drive (the uncorrupted drive i have now)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
    board3r, Sep 8, 2003
  7. board3r

James Photojournalist

You could try getdataback or go to www.ntfs.com and try their software. Try switching the memory. It could be a problem with that.

James, Sep 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question