LAN connection help

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by thirdeye, Apr 21, 2003.

1. thirdeye

thirdeye

I surfed the net trying to find guides for home network setup and came across this thread so i joined yer little forum. so here goes then :)

i have 2 computers each with win2k and a 10/100 ethernet adapter as well as an old hub. my connection is based on dynamic ip.
    being pretty newbie on the area- is this sufficient for a home network and how do i set ip up?
    i've tried this setup: internet - hub - pc1 and pc2 but while i'm able to go on the internet with both of the computers, i'm not able to obtain local network with the 2 computers. can anyone give a hint for what i'm doing wrong?

thirdeye, Apr 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

Re: Anyone have a home network setup?

Hi, I see the google indexing is working then. (the way you found our site) :D

How do you have your addressing setup on your computers? Since you only have a hub and no server, what you should do is assign static IP's to your pcs. Try this example out:
    • PC 1
      IP: 192.168.x.x (used for internal networks [192.168.2.1])
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      DNS: Don't specify
      Workgroup: thirdeye
    • PC 2
      IP: 192.168.2.2
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      DNS: Don't specify
      Workgroup: thirdeye
    Then of course reboot both PC's. If you have a high speed connection, I would recommend getting a router, just for ease of setup and protection.

Also, if you want, I can split this thread so more people would be exposed to it.

James, Apr 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. thirdeye

thirdeye

Re: Anyone have a home network setup?

Well I tried kind of what you suggested. pc1-ip: 192.168.2.1, pc2-ip: 192.168.2.2 and both subnets set to 255.255.255.0 but it didn't work out. maybe because i need to install net beui on the computers?
    anyway i forgot to write that besides local network between the 2 computers i also want both of them to be able to access the internet. is something like this possible at all with the equipment/connection i have?
    oh and if you think it'd be better to split the thread that'd be awesome :)

thirdeye, Apr 21, 2003
  4. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

I assume you have broadband right? If you go to the properties of "Local area connection", you should have installed and checked: Client for MS Networks, File and printer sharing and TCP/IP.

Don't use netbui... Are both PC's in the same workgroup? DNS is empty right? Also, try selecting "Server assigned" for IP and DNS if what I said doesn't work. Reboot the PC's a few times too.

As for sharing the internet, easiet and best way is to get a cheap 4 port router. SO much easier setting up LAN and internet.

James, Apr 21, 2003
  5. thirdeye

thirdeye

i have broadband yes. both computers have the same workgroup. dns is empty. and i have only the 3 components you wrote installed on both computers.
    i've tried both defining ip's myself and to let the computers determine them automatically. when i define them myself one computer can "see" the other but i get an error when i try to access it.
    but anyway, it's pretty useless to spend more time on this if it's not possible to have both local network and internet on both computers at the same time with this setup.. which is the case or..? is it possible to achieve this if i buy a router as you suggest?

thirdeye, Apr 22, 2003
  6. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

Its do-able both ways. The best way is with a router.

But, the reason why your getting an access os denied is because, since your in a workgroup, both PCs have to have the same user accounts on them. Or you could always use the Admin user and pass for each PC.

The reason why I suggest a router isn't to get out of this situation, but for your protection. A router that does NAT (Network address translation) will act as your firewall, you can speciy which ports you want open for special programs (msn messenger sending files, certain online games, etc), and also the router can act as a DHCP server and give all computers connected to the router an IP, subnet, gateway and dns address automatically. So there's you connection sharing, and also your LAN connection too.

James, Apr 22, 2003
  7. thirdeye

thirdeye

using admin accounts on both computers helped as bit. i'm now able to use the local network. i'm still not able to access the internet on either of the computers though.. any idea what could be wrong?
    thanx for your explanation of the router. perhaps that's the way i should go.. anything special i should be aware of when buying one?

thirdeye, Apr 22, 2003
  8. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

Yep, Reason why you can't access the net is because you have nothing in your gateway or dns.

This is the part that is tricky for setting this up for your first time. The best way to share your connection w/o a router, is to use ICS (Internet connection sharing).

First you have to determine which PC you want to be the "router". Usually it's the one you use the most. Then bring up your connections folder by right clicking on the 'My Network Places' icon on your desktop and selecting properties. Rick click on your Internet connection and select properties.

Click the 'Sharing' tab at the top of the window. Next click on the only checkbox available, 'Enable Internet Connection Sharing'. Click OK, and then 'YES' on the dialog box that appears explaining your new IP schema (Notice the pop-up box, on your other PC, set the IP and DNS to "Obtain.."). Now, reboot your computers. Make sure the first PC can access the net, then have your other PC try to access the web and network. If this doesn't work, let me know, we can specify settings instead of the "obtain" method.

I know both of those options work. :D

James, Apr 23, 2003
  9. thirdeye

thirdeye

after having had some windows problems (not related to this) that caused me to have to reinstall everything, i've finally tried out what you wrote. however, i don't have a "sharing" tab on my connection properties. i only have the "general" one. i'm pretty sure it's because i don't have a "internet connection" listed under "network and dial-up connections" and i can't really figure out how to install that. i only have a "local area network" listed. internet works fine with this setup though. maybe because i use cable model?
    anyway, if it's more safe to use a router that's properly what i want to do. any recommendations in that area? do i need to buy a router with a switch?

thirdeye, Apr 30, 2003
  10. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

The tab should be under the properties of your cable connection or network connection.

I'm glad your considering a router. The switch is built into the router, so if you get a 4 port router (port means a jack you put one of your cat5 cables in), you have 4 openings for other pc's.

SMC has some good routers. Check out this router.

James, Apr 30, 2003
  11. thirdeye

thirdeye

Thanx i'll try to look around if i can find one of those things at my local computer stores.
    and thanx a lot for all your help!

thirdeye, May 1, 2003
  12. thirdeye

James Photojournalist

You won't find the SMC routers in stores, unless its an Official distributor. You could also go with Linksys.... :?

James, May 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question