Javascript Problems PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by joebel, Mar 26, 2003.

1. joebel

joebel

Hey, i've been having a huge problem with javascripts, basically they don't work. Everytime any website directs me to another one that opens in a new window, the window opens completely blank and i have to X out evertime, this is great cause i don't get annoying pop-ups, but bad because a lot of flash sites don't work. I've restored settings and done everything i can think of. Anyway i also get that caution java error every time. PLEASE let me know what i can do to fix this. thank you.

joebel, Mar 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. joebel

James Photojournalist

James, Mar 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. joebel

joebel

I have windows XP home, i don't think flash is the problem, because what i usually do with links that target within the page, i copy the shortcut and paste it in the browser (IE 5.1). I'm positive it is a problem with javascripts since i cannot open any window (even something as simple as a picture enlargement) and with certain websites, i CANT copy shortcuts because the link is just "javascript:X" or whatever. Thanks for response and hope you can help.

joebel, Mar 26, 2003
  4. joebel

James Photojournalist

What happens if you go to www.bestbuy.com, does the popup come up?
    Or, if you go here, and click on "angle view", the popup doesnt come up? or does it?

If you have XP, the you have to have IE6.

This may be a dumb question, but do you have a popup stopper? If not, open IE, and go to Tools> Internet Options > Advanced tab, click Restore defaults. Then close IE and go back in, let me know if this works.

James, Mar 26, 2003
  5. joebel

joebel

aaaahhhh this sucks

nope, i can't even click those links! once i do, my computer slows down a bit, then i get a blank page with "microsoft internet explorer by dell" in the title bar, and then a blank or frozen image of whatever underlies the pop-up page. I can't view any of the pop ups or picture enlargement java scripts on that page

joebel, Mar 27, 2003
  6. joebel

James Photojournalist

Strange.. Does anything else on your computer slow down at all? What other progams do you have running that you installed?

Try this:

-Start | Control Panel, click switch to classic view (if your not already in it).
    -Then go to IE options, and do what I said before (click the advanced tab, restore defaults.
    -Go to the general tab, clear temp files, history, cookies, click ok.

Open up add/remove programs, click Windows components, take the check out of Internet Explorer the click next. This will remove IE, reboot your PC. When Windows comes back up, go back to Control panel and Add/remove Programs, then Windows components. Put the check back in IE, and reboot your pc....... try clicking the links I listed above again.

Maybe this will help. :|

James, Mar 27, 2003
  7. joebel

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Now i might just be being silly and you might have already tried this, but WinXP does not ship with java support. You have to install WinXP Service Pack 1 to get java.

Fenis-Wolf, May 1, 2003
  8. joebel

James Photojournalist

Nope, java doesn't come with XP, but you don't need it installed to view popups. You can always d/l MS Virtual Machine (java), or get Sun's java (yuck).

James, May 1, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question