itunes messed me up

Discussion in 'Software' started by vishnu, Oct 23, 2011.

1. vishnu

vishnu VIP Member

I thought I would try itunes "genius" and so I installed it, and let it go to work. Interesting to say the least.

But...

It messed with my music folder, all 175gb worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took every single and made a folder for it. I cant find sh*t. I did a quick google search, even a system restore (it was only yesterday that I did the itunes install), and I cant find a way to undo what it did.

Is there a way to undo the damage it has done?

Cheers
    Alan

vishnu, Oct 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. vishnu

Zeus Moderator

If a system restore didn't work I don't know what to tell you. Do you have a recent backup?

Zeus, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. vishnu

clifford VIP Member

Look in iTunes properties for media location. If itunes is set to manage your media, then your media file will be relocated during organization. Find the management location in iTunes preferences and you can retrieve your files.

I believe iTunes is also set by default to remove your media, if you remove the listing from iTunes library. If you tried to remove the media from iTunes library, it is possible you removed the media from your computer.

I've not spent much time in iTunes, so I don't know with all certainty.

clifford, Oct 24, 2011
  4. vishnu

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

System restore does not touch user files so anything that's under My Documents or a secondary hard drive will not be touched. The only way you can do an automatic restore would be to have an actual backup of your computer before it happened.

If I remember correctly and I think clifford said it too, but iTunes may make a copy of all your music and store the original directory in a different folder. So if for some reason you're missing another 175GB of disk space you should be able navigate to that.

I just throw all my music in one lump summed folder 'cause it takes too much time to organize it all and just run it through a database or use WinAMPs database, makes life so much easier, imo.

Goober, Oct 25, 2011
  5. vishnu

vishnu VIP Member

I cant seem to find any itunes directory...with the original stuff....

But I do have a back up....its not recent (may 2011) so I need to find the duplicates and delete them leaving the new additions. 187 vs 185 gb

Can anybody recommend a program for detecting the duplicates?

cheers

vishnu, Oct 27, 2011
  6. vishnu

Zeus Moderator

I use winmerge at work to compare backups and also to compare router configs. It compares both files or folders and highlights the differences.

http://winmerge.org/

Or you can do it with the merge command from the command prompt (might be easier since you have such big files)

http://www.araxis.com/merge/command_line.html

Zeus, Oct 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question