Issues setting up my linksys wireless router with Earthlink DSL

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by ddmill, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ddmill

ddmill

I recently switched DSL providers from SBC to Earthlink. I am attempting to set up my old wireless network behind my new DSL router and cannot get the wireless router to connect.

Here are some of the details of my network configuration:

Earthlink DSL ISP with a Netopia DSL router
    Linksys BEFW11S4 Etherfast Wireless Router (v. 1 ... at least four years old)
    iMac with OS 10.2
    Dell laptop with XP sp2

Here are the symptoms:

I can get my Mac and my laptop to connect to the internet when they are directly connected to the DSL router. When you connect from a computer for the first time, you are required to enter your earthlink username and password. After that, it remembers you even if you turn the computer off and on. If you switch the computer connected to the DSL router, it requires you to enter the username and password again. I assume it is storing the MAC address on the DSL router.

The problem is when you connect the wireless router to the DSL router. If you open up the configuration screen on the Linksys wireless router and enter the username and password for the earthlink account, then go to the status screen, you see it cycling "Connecting" until it eventually fails to make the connection.

Here are some of the troubleshooting things I've tried:

Tried connecting first from my Mac to the DSL router, then connecting the powered-up DSL router to the Linksys.

Turning off the DSL router and Linksys router, connecting them and the computer, powering up all three.

Any ideas? It's really driving me crazy. The only thing I can think to try that I haven't tried is setting MAC cloning on the Linksys to mimic a computer NIC that has already authenticated against the DSL router.

ddmill, Apr 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. ddmill

James Photojournalist

This may be a stupid question, but how do you everything connected?

Phone line - WAN port on DSL modem - CAT5 straight - WAN port of W Router ? If not, that's how it should be. Normally you do not have to clone your DSL modem's MAC address in your router. First, log into your DSL modem, hook up directley to the DSL modem, and disable all routing features (usually this doesn't matter) and then connect it to your router.

I really don't know much about Earthlink, but I assume it's basically the same as Verizon or any other DSL provider. Hard reset your DSL modem, connect it to your router and log into your router, see if it can connect via PPoE with your U&P.

James, Apr 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. ddmill

ddmill

This may be a stupid question, but how do you everything connected?

Phone line - WAN port on DSL modem - CAT5 straight - WAN port of W Router ?

That's exactly how I have it connected:

phone line > netopia router > CAT5 > WAN port of linksys router > CAT5 > Macintosh

If not, that's how it should be. Normally you do not have to clone your DSL modem's MAC address in your router.

I know...I've never had to do it before.

First, log into your DSL modem, hook up directley to the DSL modem, and disable all routing features (usually this doesn't matter) and then connect it to your router.

That's what I tried...no dice.

I really don't know much about Earthlink, but I assume it's basically the same as Verizon or any other DSL provider.

I had no problem with SBC a month ago with this same set up...I'm wondering if Earthlink is somehow locking down their netopia router.

Hard reset your DSL modem, connect it to your router and log into your router, see if it can connect via PPoE with your U&P.
    I'll try again. And I'll try the MAC cloning if that doesn't work.

ddmill, Apr 14, 2005
  4. ddmill

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

another odd question, but is the wirelessness set to be on?

Goober, Apr 15, 2005
  5. ddmill

ddmill

The wireless is set to on.

Last night I attempted to hard reset everything (a few times). I tried using MAC address clonging. I tried to use the old DSL router from my last DSL provider. No dice, again. Now I am convinced that my old Linksys wireless router has finally bit the dust...no lights showing on the WAN indicator when it is on, no lights showing on the ethernet indicator on the DSL router. I am going to try a new router and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

ddmill, Apr 15, 2005
  6. ddmill

James Photojournalist

James, Apr 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question