Issue with Orange

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Nickweb, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Nickweb

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Hi guys.

On a forum that my mother goes on, she saw a thread from someone who had a cold call claiming to be from Orange regarding her home broadband. They claimed there was a problem with her Internet connection, and to go to the 'teamview' / 'teamviwer' website.

She did as they said, and the website told her that she had a major infection and it would cost lots of money to fix it. In the meantime she picked up some nasty malware and is in the process of cleaning out her system.

This woman WAS on Orange broadband, and so thought the call was legit. On another issue, my mother who is on Orange for her PAYG mobile phone, often gets cold called by various companies.

My concerns are about Orange's policy of passing on customer information on to third parties, some of which are clearly below-board.

Just posting this to make people aware of what potential issues lie with Orange

Nickweb, Dec 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Nickweb

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

I have 2 Orange PAYG mobiles for wife & myself and at work we have a small number of them.

Never had any cold callers or spam texts so far.

Maurice, Dec 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Nickweb

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Side note... I use Teamviewer daily, it's legit... They may have taken control of her comp, or she was already infected with a virus.

Goober, Dec 26, 2010
  4. Nickweb

Ian Administrator

Wow, that's a sneaky way to target broadband customers.

My soon to be father-in-law also had a cold call from someone claiming to be Orange, calling up when his contract was due to end. He ended up buying a new phone through this provider (although still on Orange), but he figured it out and somehow managed to get a refund a few weeks later.

I'm not sure if Orange have had their customer databases sold/stolen, or if he's given away the details at some point. Either way, he seems to be on some sort of "suckers list" as he gets frequent cold calls whenever we visit (even though I've set up TPS registration).

Ian, Jan 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question