is it the compiler or me?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by nameless, Oct 26, 2005.

1. nameless

nameless VIP Member

I've finally decided to jump into programming and decided to start w/ c++. Why? I really dont know, but any way i'm running windows xp sp2 i get borland installed on c:\ in not note pad i do the "first program" and save it in the bin as compile.cpp. ok i i go to command prompt and change directiores to:
    c:\borland\bcc55\bin> // and i input
    c:\borland\bcc55\bin>bcc32 -Ic:\borland\bcc55\include -Lc:\borland\bcc55\lib compile
    and i get:
    Borland c++ 5.5.1 for win32 copyright <c> 1993, 2000 Borland
    Error E2194: could not find 'compile.cpp'

what gives i've checked in the bin and the file is there.is it me?
    I can really say my programming learning curve is getting really longgggg lol.:lol2

nameless, Oct 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. nameless

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

i'm really don't remember much C++ since i failed the class 3 years ago. but i recall having to compile it instead of just save it as a note file. i was using visual basics at the time. i definately remember that there was some kind of compiling you had to do before the program can run.

spike228, Oct 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. nameless

Cuddlez I'm Ron Burgundy? VIP Member

I haven't used Borland myself... but I guess you have to write the program in a text editor first and then compile it?

Tell you what, get this compiler: http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

It's free. It's what I use and it works just fine. I hope you didn't pay for Borland. I know Visual Studio is expensive and that's why I haven't gotten it yet...

Anyway, try running your program with Dev-C++ and if you have any problems with that I will do my best to help you out.

Cuddlez, Oct 26, 2005
  4. nameless

nameless VIP Member

yes i wrote it in a text and called myself compiling it soooooo i guess i'll try your bloodshed. no i didnt pay for the borland. Thanx cuddlez
    ok i've been playing around w/ Dev-c++ all night and according to the compile log i have compiled programs, but how do i link them so i can execute them?man this makes the head hurt lol.....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
    nameless, Oct 27, 2005
  5. nameless

Cuddlez I'm Ron Burgundy? VIP Member

Ok, hopefully I can finally post... Dev-C++ will link it for you, and you can run the program from within the compiler's interface. It will also create an .exe and save it in the same directory as your .cpp

Cuddlez, Nov 1, 2005
  6. nameless

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Well the Beta 2 Visual Studio is still available and thats pretty much the full on compiler and everything, actually I do not know what the difference between the beta and the paid version are. On the flip side, my friend and I were having some problems learing micorsofts c++ compiler. It has a lot of great features.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx

Goober, Nov 1, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question