Is a VPN the possible solution....

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by prc2u, Jul 11, 2006.

1. prc2u

prc2u

My office has DSL. New requirements demand that we have a static ip to log into a secure website we use to do our business. Our IP will be on their approved list to allow us in.

I work from home alot. can we set up a VPN so that I log into the office and from there I use the Static IP to get into the secure website?

We (home and office) have Windows XP. I have broadband at home.

If i come thru the office router to get into their network can I use the same router to connect to the internet (so that their IP) is the one seen to the secure website?

Please keep answers in english (simple terms) since I was almost not able to get my own home network up and running. If VPN is possible the office would hire someone to set it up.

prc2u, Jul 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. prc2u

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Well since you do have a high speed connection you could see if your company will pay for you to have a static connection too. On average this is 10 bucks a month. You could use your work place as a proxy and do exactly as you discribed above or you can set up a VPN which would be the secure way. Lastly you can use remote administration to take over your work computer from home this can be a slow way to get work done but it is cool.

Goober, Jul 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. prc2u

Zeus Moderator

All the options Goober mentioned above would work and serve your purpose.

I would opt for the VPN. It is a more secure way to connect, and someone could set it up so that you VPN into your work LAN and connect to a proxy server that allows you to connect to the internet from that server.

Suggestion number 2 would be having the company pay for static IPs for the ones that need to connect. The downsides to this would be that it wouldn't be a very good decision business wise if there are more than a few people that need to connect (the cost would outweigh the benefit) and if the company expands, you wouldn't be able to expand this very much before the cost would once again outweigh the benefit.

I wouldn't suggest using remote administration without using a VPN or some encryption of some sort. It's totally unsecure and your network will be compromised. There wouldn't be a need to use this because if you have someone set up a VPN to use remote administration you might as well do it right and have them set you up a proxy server instead. :2cents

*Edit - Btw, welcome to THQ. We hope you'll stick around. :hi

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
    Zeus, Jul 12, 2006
  4. prc2u

whiskey

I'm not sure if i understand your setup exactly. It sounds like you have static ip's at work that will be used to access the particular web site.

Connecting remotely and then going through a proxy would seem the simplest. I suppose it could also bet set up that a DHCP server has some reserved ip address for remote clients. Then when you log in, you could be assigned one of those reserved ip's required to connect to the private site.

whiskey, Oct 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question