Intermittent wireless connection.

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by .slack, Sep 11, 2004.

1. .slack

.slack Angsty Teenager VIP Member

Right, I'm trying to help my aunt fix this problem.
    She just applied for cable internet, and had a router installed. She also has 2 desktops, which have wireless adapters.
    The internet works fine, however, every few seconds or so, the connection is lost and then gotten back again. Very unstable. This makes it difficult for me to update her computer.
    She's using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router, upgraded to latest firmware. There is a wall between the router and the computer, since the computer is right behind the wall. However, the distance between the router and the computer is only about 2 meters. The wall can't possibly block the signal, right? >.<
    Any other ways to stabilise the connection?

.slack, Sep 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. .slack

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

This can happan sometimes if you have the SSID broadcast disabled in the linksys, make sure you have it turned on, and turn off all encryption/access controls just until you have it working right.

Fenis-Wolf, Sep 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. .slack

James Photojournalist

No, the wall should not block the signal, unless there's a lot of magnetic interference or a lot of copper, etc...

I would not enable broadcasting of the SSID or turn off encryption.... It could be the Linksys router, as they are sort of cheap. What OS is she running? For best wireless performance, SP2 for XP is recommended and it's very easy to setup a wireless connection via it's new tool. Even when you log off from your PC, XP maintains the wireless connection, unlike most of the time it didn't before SP2.

How is everything setup in the router? Have you tried different channels?

You could always see if there are other WLAN's around her, using NetStumbler which is in HT, but your WNIC has to support NS.

James, Sep 11, 2004
  4. .slack

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

this has happened with my laptop before. upon connecting to the router, there is a check box to enable "iie..." i don't know the exact letters but it was something like it. it was some security thing. when i had that box checked, i would get disconnected every 5 minutes or so. so i decided to try and see what would happen if i unchecked that box. i unchecked it and i was never disconnected again.

hope that helps

spike228, Sep 11, 2004
  5. .slack

James Photojournalist

There's no security protocol named iie, unless it's a proprietary one.

Please be careful of your wireless security. So many people fail to realise the potential issues that could arrise by disabling security.

James, Sep 12, 2004
  6. .slack

.slack Angsty Teenager VIP Member

Well, she uses Windows XP. And I've been trying to get SP2 for her through her internet, but since it always disconnects the download is always cancelled. I don't think wireless security is a problem with my aunt's neighbourhood anyway. I've set passwords for her important stuff.

I reckon the router is configured properly, since my uncle, who lives in the same house and uses wireless too, has his computer working fine. I even tested it, and the connection never broke.

.slack, Sep 12, 2004
  7. .slack

well i'm not saying get rid of all security. all you need is a WEP or maybe a MAC address filtering.

spike228, Sep 12, 2004
  8. .slack

James Photojournalist

WEP is weak and is going out. WPA is what is going to be the future. XP SP2 has native support for WPA. Try changing the channels, it could be inteferring with someone else's WLAN, or cordless phone.

WEP and MAC filtering is not all you need, maybe at home. But anywhere where there's sensitive material and an active internet connection, you should really have more security.

James, Sep 12, 2004
  9. .slack

yea i was assuming he meant at home.

spike228, Sep 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question