Installing a IDE hard drive as a secondary hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zeeg, May 20, 2009.

1. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

My current hard drive is SATA seagate barracuda with microsoft XP home on it.

What kind of steps do i need to take for a gigabyte motherboard to set up a raid with an IDE hard drive?

Zeeg, May 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

In addition my DVD drive is SATA as well. I want to set it up so my sata hard drive boots the operating system and the second ide hard drive is just there for more space.

Zeeg, May 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Zeeg

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Hmmm I'm a little confused, are you wanting to have your IDE drive as a secondary drive or mirror the SATA drive?

If its just as a secondary drive, nothing, just leave it all plugged in the way you have it already. You may have to go into BIOS to change the boot order of the hard drives.

If you want it to be a raid setup you might want to look into some raid software that can backup/mirror your data.

Goober, May 20, 2009
  4. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

I'm not exactly sure what mirror means. I have never set up a raid before with two hard drives. I guess I ran into a problem where my motherboard doesn't recognize my IDE hard drive. I feel it running but it doesn't show up anywhere in the bios.

The only thing that shows up is the two SATA drives (HDD and DVD). I looked at my motherboard manual and I really can't figure it out.

My motherboard is a gigabyte 965P-S3. Maybe it's a matter of finding the right setting s in my bios. Maybe my IDE cable is faulty. Does it matter how the power cord is set up inside my machine?

I'm so hopeless as to how to figure this out haha. I also don't have any raid software installed. Would I have to install raid software first for my IDE hard drive to be recognized?

Thanks!

Zeeg, May 21, 2009
  5. Zeeg

Ian Administrator

I think you might be getting confused about what RAID does - if you just want to add a second IDE drive for more storage space you don't need RAID :)

As your BIOS doesn't detect the drive, I'd double check the IDE cable and make sure that you have the correct jumper settings on the drive (if appropriate). Have you got IDE enabled within your BIOS?

Ian, May 21, 2009
  6. Zeeg

Zeus Moderator

You wouldn't want to RAID an IDE drive with a SATA drive anyway. SATA is much faster and if you did RAID them then your SATA drive would have to slow down to the read/write speed of the IDE drive.

Zeus, May 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question