if u know anything about routers/networking read this!

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by brent, Jan 11, 2005.

1. brent

brent Reason

Can someone help me with networking?
    I have just bought a netgear rp614 v3 router but i cant get it to work.
    When it comes to this sort of thing im a real noob, i have followed the instructions exactly and all seems to be well untill i get to the settings config screen where nothing happens. i tried it on my wifes laptop with the same result. I have no idea if i need to change the settings in winxp sp2 and if i did id have no idea what to do. Im running a amd 2600+ 512mb ram geforce 5900.
    Please somebody help as i live in germany and dont speak a great deal of german so as u can imagine im pretty limited to asking for help

brent, Jan 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. brent

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Nothing happens? If you change settings and click 'Save' they don't save?

Fenis-Wolf, Jan 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. brent

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Also, have you disabled the Windows Firewall service? How do you go about configuring the options? Through a wizard or through the router console?

James, Jan 11, 2005
  4. brent

brent Reason

I dont even get a page to save settings, the wizard configures everything except my isp passwords i have pushed the actual router reset button on the router, but to no avail. The last thing that happens is the config settings screen comes up but its just a blank screen that says at the top "netgear configuration assistant" and thats it then a blank screen. At this time it seems to trying to connect to the page i let it try for over an hour and nothing came up.

brent, Jan 11, 2005
  5. brent

brent Reason

i forgot one thing, i turn off the windows firewall already, and turned off my personal fire wall which caused me to get 10 virus's

brent, Jan 11, 2005
  6. brent

Firewalls do not protect you from viruses. Remove any software firewalls from your system. Find out the IP for your router and type it into the address bar in your web browser. Type in the password, and configure the router from there. The wizards are useless.

James, Jan 11, 2005
  7. brent

brent Reason

james, i did what u said 1st i disabled my personal firewall and the windows firewall but i left antivirus software on, i then shut down my pc set up the router and modem etc.
    next i booted it up and opened my browser and it went to the same screen as before (but without the disc) this time it said the router was working out what connection i have but nothing happened from there the screen never changed. by the way thanks for your time maybe u have more ideas, with ur last suggestions i came one step closer to getting it

brent, Jan 11, 2005
  8. brent

rafiki6 VIP Member

I suggest resetting your router from the reset button in the back. INstall any software that came with the router if it is necessary. I know this may sound like i am insulting you but i am just trying to help, therefore did you read the instructions that came with the router, and followed them step by step. Next install any new firmware offered by the router's manufacturer. Then apply the settings which you want and if that does not work it might jsut be a defective router?

rafiki6, Jan 12, 2005
  9. brent

brent Reason

Thankyou everyone for your help i got it working after 10 hours of sweat and tears james it was your advice that worked thankyou very much

brent, Jan 12, 2005
  10. brent

Glad it's working now Brent. That's the best way to learn is trial and erorr. I was about to write up some directions on how to get into your router console. I dispise any type of extra software that comes with certain routers, they cause more problems then good. It's always best to go into its console and configure it.

James, Jan 12, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question