I uninstalled a device on accident

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theprofessor, Jun 14, 2006.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

I was trying install the setup for Cingular Communication Manager to transfer pics to PC. I think you have to install drivers to go with the program. So I did that. And the drivers didnt install correctly. It didnt fully configure and when USB is hooked up it makes the usual rapid bell ding noise. But about 3 times. Sounded like something was messed up. So I tried to uninstall the drivers. Not sure what to look for I accidentally clicked stop hardware device on something about Sony. Now I cant find it to turn it back on so I can have that hardware device working back again.:?
    So 2 questions:

Is there a way to locate it and tell which one I clicked stop on so I can turn it back on?
    Also how do I uninstall the drivers that I think were installed from the Cingular program? Im not sure what the drivers were even called.

BTW I had to reboot my PC since I lost my Safely Remove Hardware icon for good. Even after going to custom notifications and checking "always show". I couldnt get it back. Dont know if I might have lost something as far as when I turned off hardware device.

Please Help. And remember I dont know jack about computers. Step by Step please. Thanks

theprofessor, Jun 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

I just realized i typed uninstalled hardware for a topic. lol doesnt make sense. sorry

any suggestions?

1. Advertisements

3. theprofessor

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

When going to the device manager it shows the device that has been stoped with a red x over it. and for anything does not ahve drivers for it, it will appear with a question mark under Unknown devices. Im not too sure where your cellphone would be located because I dont even own one of those devils devices :p

Uhm I guess click on all the plus signs untill you come across one that says your cellphone or something related to it.

Goober, Jun 14, 2006
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

I clicked on all the plus signs in Device Manager. No red Xs and no ? marks.... now what does that mean. and I see nothing related to Cingular. I uninstalled the software reinstalled and went through the hardware device wizard to install drivers with the Cingular software. Still does the unhealthy bell ding. I have some partial drivers or something installed somehwere. Something is going on and I have to remove it before i can reinstall. It wont let me overwrite it.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

Nobody else has any help?

theprofessor, Jun 15, 2006
  6. theprofessor

Zeus Moderator

Did you backup your system before doing this?

Zeus, Jun 15, 2006
  7. theprofessor

wifiknight I read your email

Rebooting should bring up the detection of the hardware.. if it doesn't try manually detecting new hardware via the device manager.

wifiknight, Jun 15, 2006
  8. theprofessor

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

If all else fails, try a system restore, then try again maybe?

Nickweb, Jun 16, 2006
  9. theprofessor

Zeus Moderator

That's why I asked if he had backed up his system 1st.

Zeus, Jun 16, 2006
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

thats a negatory. i didnt back up my system. i had no idea this would happen. when i reboot the safely remove hardware icon in tray comes back. also when looking at the device manager i dont see any drivers associated with cingular. although i really dont know what the driver would be titled as. maybe i didnt download the drivers at all. even though it went halfway through the configuration. is this a possibility? if so then how can i just download the drivers over. i tried it again but it did the same thing. so its either
    A) the drivers are partially installed....(if such a thing could happen) and it wont override it.
    B) the drivers are NOT installed and something is wrong the cingular program

also on another note. i dont believe i removed any hardware by just pressing stop. because i tested a hardware by rebooting and stopping another device. when i rebooted again that same device i stopped was restored and said to be working properly. which means the initial driver i posted about, that i was afraid of removing, i dont think i removed by just "pressing stop device" then rebooting.

so will a system retore clear this up? then try and install driver from cingular again?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
    theprofessor, Jun 16, 2006
  11. theprofessor

ok, ok nevermind

Nickweb, Jun 16, 2006
  12. theprofessor

Sambassador Ninja

System restore, unless he turned it off, will automatically back up days for him... there's no need to "Manually back up his files." Go ahead and give system restore a shot (You can get it through Start--Programs--Accessories--System Tools--System Restore) and it should fix your problem

Sambassador, Jun 20, 2006
  13. theprofessor

Zeus Moderator

Maybe I should have worded it differently. If you go where Sambassador pointed to, you can also create a restore point. You should do this before installing any new software, drivers, or patches. That is what was meant by backing up the system. Not backing up all the files.

I was unaware that it automatically created restore points by the day though. I thought it was like once a week which is why I was asking about the backup.

Zeus, Jun 20, 2006
  14. theprofessor

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

It does a backup of old drivers/devices when one is replacing/removing them.

Goober, Jun 20, 2006
  15. theprofessor

Zeus Moderator

I didn't know that either. I usually do it manually to be sure.

Zeus, Jun 20, 2006
  16. theprofessor

I thought I was right in thinking there should have been a restore point, i just didnt want another argument

Nickweb, Jun 21, 2006
  17. theprofessor

Sambassador Ninja

It automatically does it about every 3 days, sometimes more if they install new hardware or if they set it that way. It's a pretty handy tool... i use it allllllll the time where I work, works wonders ;-D

Sambassador, Jun 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question