How to setup 2 networks on a Laptop

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by jplink, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jplink

jplink

Hello :hi

I have a network at home with 2 desktop PC's and a printer on it. I also have a laptop with Windows XP that I use for work and travel. I just bought an access point so I can surf the Internet with my laptop anywhere in the house. The wireless works fine on the laptop but when I go and connect the laptop to the wired network so I can print, it will not print unless I disable the "Wireless Network" in Network Connections. Then if I want to use the wireless again I must go back into Network Connections, disable the "Local Area Connection" and enable "Wireless Connection".
    If both connections are "Enabled" only 1 or the other will work, not both. :?
    How can we use both networks without having to enable and disable the connection every time we want to print something.
    The wired network is connected togather by a Linksys Switch.
    The wireless network is using Trendnet WAP connected to a Comcast modem.
    All the PC’s have Windows XP
    Thanks in advance

jplink, Jan 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. jplink

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

That is a rather odd issue. My PC is currently connecting to our wireless router via both wireless and ethernet/wired homeplug connections, and I'm not having any trouble with it asking me to disable one before I can have the other on.

The same with my Laptop - connects fine wirelessly and wiredly at the exact same time.

The only thing we really need to know is the make of Laptop. There's possibly some driver or setting issue with it, so if you could let us know the make and model of the Laptop, we should be able to help you a lot more :)

S Walch, Jan 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. jplink

Zeus Moderator

Are there ports on the wireless device that you can plug your wired computers into?

The Cisco switch it sees your wireless device as the "outside" and dont let your wireless connect to the printer. There may be a setting on the switch to make it act like an access point, then you wouldnt need to switch back and forth to print.

Zeus, Jan 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question