How to get critical updates/SPs/IE updates etc.

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by karansaraf, Jul 13, 2004.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

I need to know how to download all the critical updates/Service Packs/IE updates etc. as FILES, rather than like you get them on windowsupdate.com where it downloads them and installs at the same times.

The reason is that I need to put all the critical updates etc on a CD, so that when i format my PC I can install them again (WITHOUT INSTALLING MY BROADBAND FIRST). So to do this, I need these updates as FILES so that they can be put on CD.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,
    Karan

karansaraf, Jul 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

If you have XP, don't plug in the modem after the install. Boot into Windows. Then go to the Network Connections control panel. Right click on the device you use to connect to the internet, and then under the 'Advanced' tab, check 'Enable Firewall'. This will stop all worms from spreading to your machine for the period before you install the updates.

Fenis-Wolf, Jul 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

It's not because of that reason, it's because every time I install SP1, my NTL broadband connection gets screwed up, and I (or the technical support) cannot get it working afterwards, so I have to uninstall SP1 (it magically starts connecting to the net again after that). Im assuming this will happen with SP2 as well, so I need a way of getting SP1, SP2 and the other critical updates (just to be safe) as files, so that I can format my comp, and then install them manually, after which, I can THEN install my broadband.

karansaraf, Jul 13, 2004
  4. karansaraf

Phil VIP Member

Yes I'm sure there is a way to do what you want but I can't seem to find it. Look around on the Windows Update site, and I think it is about something for corperations or companies, that way they can download it once and install it on all of there computers. If James post here he will know exactly what im talking about, because this issue has come up here at BD before, I just cant find it.

Phil, Jul 13, 2004
  5. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

ok, thanks, I'll have a look on the WinUpdate site.

In the meantime, let's hope this James comes along...;)

karansaraf, Jul 13, 2004
  6. karansaraf

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Enabling a firewall won't stop a virus or whatever coming through, just certain apps from connecting to your PC via ports...

As for the files for Windows Update, there's a few ways.
    • Go to Windows Updates, write down the KB article number and d/l the update individually, you need to becarefull doing this. Some updates should only be applied if to certain machines with certain updates already...
    • Get MSBA found in our MSFT tools section and download the updates
    • Order the Windows Updates CD from MSFT for free. Although I believe it's only free for US customers only.

James, Jul 13, 2004
  7. karansaraf

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

The firewall that comes with Windows will stop all known worms from infecting your system.
    It does not however protect your machine from viruses that are spread through web pages, or email.
    The firewall is a very adequate measure of protection for a fresh install of XP to go online and retrieve updates.
    However, the first thing you should install on all Windows installs is a good virus scanner ( I recommend the excellent AVG AntiVirus which can be found in our Handy Tools section) and then do the Windows Updates.

Fenis-Wolf, Jul 13, 2004
  8. karansaraf

James Photojournalist VIP Member

I've never read this from Microsoft's site unless I over looked it.

James, Jul 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question