How often do you upgrade your PC?

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Ian, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

It's been over a year since I upgraded my system (Q6600, 2GB Ram, 2 x 250GB HD, 8800GTS), and it still seems to be able to run everything I throw at it :) I'm nowhere near ready to upgrade yet, so I guess I'm still about a year and a half off upgrading anything (perhaps longer).

I normally do a big upgrade every 3 years, so the timing works about about the same this time round.

How often do you guys upgrade?

Ian, Mar 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

I do an upgrade every 3 or so years as well, although it does seem that I've been on my Dual-Core AMD 64-bit processor for quite a while - I've upgraded the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB, but I'm still on DDR1 - not even progressed to DDR2, and will probably bypass it and go straight to DDR3 when I next upgrade, which I don't think I'll be doing yet either.

My rig still plays all the latest games, so I really don't see a need to upgrade yet.

S Walch, Mar 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

I recently turned an old computer into a server so i've been doing upgrade shopping on ebay. Hope I don't get outbid.

danperteet, Mar 12, 2009
  4. Ian

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I tend to upgrade slowly, over time. But since the laptop crash and buying a new PC, I don't see any future upgrades for at least a couple of years. I upgraded the gfx card and the PSU though because the onboard, nice as it was, just did not cut it for me.

I did do some upgrading on my wife's PC though. She is not at all into comps and would be happy with the slowest piece of junk... She never sees any point in spending any dough on anything computer-related, but I need to use that machine on occasion, and it stores all the mp3s and such for example, so I got tired of it being so bloody slow and replaced the motherboard, cpu, psu, ram...pretty much everything but the case and the optical drive, while wife was out of town. Runs XP nicely now that I've "defragged it".

Core, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Ian

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

I tend to upgrade my comp when I have the money. I should save up my cash to go back to school.

Goober, Mar 12, 2009
  6. Ian

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I upgrade when i can, Ive pretty much maxed out on what my mobo can handle in terms of CPU. AXP3200+ running at 2.4ghz

I could get 2 1GB sticks of RAM to replace my 2 512MB sticks, and i can always buy a bigger GPU, although im still on AGP, but I have a GeForce 7300GT 512 and its nice. Although I cant run CODWaW, ita based on the same engine as COD4, so it should work, but the sound issue is killing it game before it starts

I need to build a new machine, but i have no way near the cash to do it

Nickweb, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Ian

Zeus Moderator

Well I just recently (Januaury) built a new rig. My old rig, which is now a media center in the living room, was my gamer for about 4 years.

Zeus, Mar 12, 2009
  8. Ian

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

I tend to upgrade my rig piecemeal, replacing this part or that as it becomes outdated. My next big upgrade will probably be i7/DDR3, which will require a new mobo/CPU/RAM.

Codex85, Mar 12, 2009
  9. Ian

Zeus, send me your old pc?

Nickweb, Mar 12, 2009
  10. Ian

Zeus Moderator

You don't want it. It's tearing up (video card is going out on it for the 3rd time and I think it is the mobo causing it).
    And it is ugly as sin too. I'm missing one side of the case so if I sent it to you one look would make you wonder what kind of junk I sent you.
    It is the one in my profile b/c I still havent updated it to my current rig.
    Not really much to brag about, but I can take out the secondary drive (my backup drive) and see how much it would be to ship it overseas if you think you could make use of it.

*Edit*

Here it is from my profile minus the pieces I would keep:
    Obviously I wouldn't send you the monitor b/c I am still using it, I would take out the 300GB drive and probably the DVD drive as well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    Zeus, Mar 13, 2009
  11. Ian

looks pretty much like my rig, apart from i got an athlon xp 3200+ and a geforce 7300gt

Nickweb, Mar 13, 2009
  12. Ian

Zeus Moderator

So then it wouldn't even be worth the cost of shipping it b/c your rig is newer anyway.

Zeus, Mar 13, 2009
  13. Ian

Zeeg Noob

If I had a constant money flow, I would probably upgrade every two years. At my current state, it's probably every 4 years.

Zeeg, Apr 30, 2009
  14. Ian

dylangle3

Its every time I need it for some software requirement and that is when ever a part broke down.

I am very careful to my system so they last up to 3 years minimum. then its every 3 years.

dylangle3, Aug 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question