[home use] Internal network security

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by James, Dec 28, 2002.

1. James

James Photojournalist VIP Member

This thread is for home users and not for businesses. If you want to discuss business needs, please create a separate thread.

If your a home user, then it's easier to secure your system(s) and internal network.

The basic rules to secure your system:
    • Get a firewall.
      • Hardware based is better, most home routers use NAT which acts as a firewall, you can open incoming ports, etc.
        • If you want a real firewall, check out SonicWall, Cisco PIX, D-link, Firebox, etc.
      • The downside to software based firewalls is that they have to be installed and configured on each PC.
    • Make sure you only open incoming ports for what you need.
      • Most users do not need any ports open, unless you want to receive files via MSN or any other messenger program. Or if you want to run SSH, FTP, HTTP, etc.
    • Update and patch your OS...
    • Secure your OS...
      • Again, this applies to Linux and Windows. Make sure your user accounts have secure passwords and that you setup the proper auditing on your system. If you on a domain, please make a separate thread.
    • Get some Virus protection!
      • Obviously, you need some virus protection. There are a lot of good programs out there, some are free, some are not. Norton is my favorite. I do like AVG, it's free and works well, so far. Although their paid version is better.
    • Spyware / Malware protection...
      • Something that is getting increasingly popular, especially with Internet Explorer. Spyware and malware can easily be installed in older versions IE. IE 6 SP2 makes it harder for this junk to be installed into the browser.
    If you are running a network at home, you should be up on the latest patches (check out ).
    And of course have a proper hardware / software firewall running blocking all ports that you do not need open.

If there are ports you need open and want them secure, post here, and we can help you secure them. If you want to test your firewall, here are two good sites to do so:
    Other helpful sites from MSFT:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
    James, Dec 28, 2002
    1. Advertisements

2. James

James Photojournalist VIP Member

If you have any links you want added her or to the MSFT Tools section, please PM me and I'll update this thread or the FAQ.

James, Jul 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question