Hiding text in an image file

Discussion in 'Media Workshop' started by Nickweb, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Nickweb

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

No, I'm not being illegal, I need this for an ARG I'm making for the release of my 'Spider:Spiked' film.

What I need is to be able to put some text into the source of an image file, so when you open the image in notepad, you see the text at the end of the jumble of code. This CAN be done, as it is on a website that is supposed to be for the next Lost ARG, but it is fake. http://artemis.hansoadoptions.org/ if you save the image on the page, open it in notepad, you will see a small web addy at the end of the jumble of code. Dont go on the link, its a 'make money fast' thing, but you get the idea of what I want to do

I really dont want to use 3rd party stenography software, as this will take away from the feel of the ARG.

Thanks guys

Nickweb, Aug 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Nickweb

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Well, if you open a jpeg in a hex editor you can append it to the bottom of the file. It may break the file, but its worth a shot. I don't have a hex editor on my mac otherwise I'd give it a shot, but it should work.

Fenis-Wolf, Aug 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Nickweb

is Windows Notepad a hex editor? If so, then I already tried it, it broke the image, What I really need is for the image to remain there, but with added text in the source of the file. Whoever made the image linked to above really knew their stuff I guess

Nickweb, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Nickweb

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Core, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Nickweb

binarysoul InnocentBystander VIP Member

I've looked for the same kind of thing instead of visibly watermarking my photos, unfortunately I havent figured out anything yet

binarysoul, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Nickweb

Watermarking your photos can work better in some cases. It's fairly common for people to load up an image and make small alterations, touch it up, crop it, whatever and save as a new file which then goes online... Any kind of alteration whatsoever would immediately undo the "hidden hexedited watermark".

Core, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Nickweb

I agree, having a visable watermark is much more effective. Also, some people can just hit 'prt scn' button if they cant download the image, so to sum up, the only way to REALLY protect your images is to place a visable watermark on them, I'll check out those hex editors, but there again, most of the people playing my ARG wont think hard enough to look at the source code for an image. Just because people did it with the Lost ARGs doesnt mean I'll get the same amount of people working on my ARG. But thanks again anyway, I might give the clues out in another way

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
    Nickweb, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Nickweb

...what on earth is an ARG?

Core, Aug 8, 2007
  9. Nickweb

ARG = Alternate Reality Game. Its what LOST had between seasons a while ago, Hanso Foundation etc....

Basically its finding clues about certina things, pulling websites apart, puzzles, etc. A game, but it sits on the edge of being real

Nickweb, Aug 8, 2007
  10. Nickweb

I read about it a bit on Wikipedia but I'm still unclear as to how the concept of it is actually materialized. It comes across as being mostly theoretical with little existing applications.

Is there something tangible I can see? Online maybe?

Core, Aug 8, 2007
  11. Nickweb

session timed out while searching for links for you.
    found this on another forum:

There are ways of getting to the old Hanso site (link removed here due to THQ Terms of use, I'll PM you the link)

Some of the ancillary sites are also still up (like the Blake blog, I believe), but it's not really possible to "play" the old ARG, as many of the components were taken down or changed (LYCGY, for example), and others (i.e. the #$%^$@ glyph hunt) had to be experienced "live," as it were.

but heres a link to a load of clues/passwords/info http://lxicon.com/hanso2/ its a MAJOR spoiler though. Bear in mind when it says to go 'www.thehansofoundation.com' you will have to use the backdoor at http://thehansofoundation.org/adkahdskja2897429834ahjkncawuye32782374/ instead, have fun

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
    Nickweb, Aug 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question