HELP!! very very strange problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pegasus17459, Oct 6, 2003.

1. pegasus17459

pegasus17459

Hey guys whats up. Today i have encountered a very strange problem and am without a computer :(

Ok i was saving a microsoft word report to a disk and i restarted my computer. My computer started beeping and did not boot up and i remembered that i had left the disk in!

So i removed it and restarted. Now, i get absoultely nothing on my monitor except a message saying waiting for connection. it seems like my computer is trying to access the floppy drive.

I cant do anything! i cant get into the bios or cmos or anything!

I reset my cmos by using the jumpers and i even removed the battery and put it back in. I tried another floppy drive and another video card and it still does the same thing!

I have no idea what could've happened, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

pegasus17459, Oct 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. pegasus17459

James Photojournalist

How many beeps do you get? Did you scan the disk for a virus? What OS do you have?

Try reseating your video card.

James, Oct 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. pegasus17459

pegasus17459

i get multiple beeps as the computer attemtps to read the floppy drive over and over and over again.

i am running windows xp and it cant be the video card cause i tried using both my agp card and then the onboard video and still nothing!

any more suggestions?

and i cant scan for a virus since all i have is a black screen. it seems like the computer is not even trying to read the hard drive... just the floppy! and everything IS connected properly.

pegasus17459, Oct 7, 2003
  4. pegasus17459

undeadpenguin Bang. VIP Member

Do you happen to have a boot disk? If you don't, go to bootdisks or bootdisk.com (not sure which) and download one. See if you can boot into that.

undeadpenguin, Oct 7, 2003
  5. pegasus17459

James Photojournalist

You must have another PC since your posting here, you could try scanning it for a virus. Having a disk in the drive while booting wouldn't do this unless it had a virus or do something out of the norm.

Try the boot disk suggestion and see if you can get to a command prompt and see if you can see your files on your HDD.

Try disabling the floppy as once of the devices to look at during POST.

James, Oct 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question