HELP! me setup a Private P2P Networks

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by be3r, Feb 20, 2004.

1. be3r

be3r

Me and my friends have been trying to set up a P2P network for some time now but have no clue where to start. I have been searching the internet for a while now trying to find software to setup a server in which we can all connect to and share files. I have access to a computer to setup as a dedicated server. Everything I have found is too complicated for me. I am looking for something like ServU but with more options. Anyone have any experiance in this area?
    All I want to do is have a small App that i can give to each of the people which will be using the server that simple connects and lists all files on the server, and then the server. Thanks

be3r, Feb 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. be3r

James Photojournalist

Well, what type of dedicated server is it? If it's an actual server, FTP / SSH should be setup already. All you'd have to do is create the directories and assign the CHMOD permissions. Then create the FTP accounts for your friends.

If it's just a PC acting as a "server" then BulletProof FTP is a decent program and FileZilla Server works well also.

James, Feb 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. be3r

be3r

but then they have to download FTP clients. I dont really want to go FTP cause its more of a hassle.

be3r, Feb 20, 2004
  4. be3r

James Photojournalist

I think that's how you will have to do it, unless you know of an app that will share out files.

If you were really serious you could setup a VPN server (Windows 2000 / 2003 Server), no extra software needed.

James, Feb 20, 2004
  5. be3r

be3r

I have thought about VPN but i dont know anything about it. Seem to complicated for me. Could you give me a quick rundown of how to setup a VPN and how others are able to connect? advantages/disadvantages?

be3r, Feb 20, 2004
  6. be3r

Core in pounce mode Moderator

You could set up a DC (DirectConnect) server, I suppose, it's a p2p solution, but honestly if I were you I'd go with FTP. I always select FTP if it's an option, as I get much better transfer speeds via FTP. Besides you do not need a client to use ftp, Internet Explorer has a built-in ftp feature. All they need is to direct their browser at ftp://ftp.yourserver.com, log in, and that's it. Or you can set up a folder with public access, and they won't even need usernames and passwords, although I recommend using logon credentials.

Core, Feb 21, 2004
  7. be3r

be3r

You know of the best FTP server? I like ServU for simplicity but its not that great.

be3r, Feb 22, 2004
  8. be3r

James Photojournalist

James, Feb 22, 2004
  9. be3r

be3r

core, btw, how do you setup dc hubs?

be3r, Feb 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question