Help for a Newbie? Help With Backing Up My Computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katrina3471, Mar 11, 2006.

1. katrina3471

katrina3471

First off, I admit to knowing very little about how computers work. Having said that, I have a question:

Is it possible to transport everything (including downloads, documents files, image files, etc) in 'My Documents' from one computer into a new computer without having to burn the information to hundreds of disks? My PC is an old Windows '98, and I'm looking to purchase a new one, but I dread the thought of having to re-download all my media files and/or going through the long process of burning many many disks. (In total size, my files are about 2.12GB, if that's relevant.) Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Katrina

katrina3471, Mar 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. katrina3471

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

It's quite simple.

When you get your New PC, just stick the Old hard drive in the new Pc's case - set it as slave - and then when your new computer boots up it should install the drivers for your old HDD and then you can access your old HDD and copy the files from it to the new one.

Also, 2.12GB really isn't that much, seeing as though my Anime alone is 100 GB.

Plus, 2.12 GB is only about, 4 CD's worth of data

S Walch, Mar 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. katrina3471

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

You could also set up file sharing on the soon to be old computer and copy the files on over to the new computer. This way wont void any warrenties.
    And as S Walch said, its only four cds, which may be the easiest way/fastest way for you. But if you would like to do it one of the suggested ways just reply back once you recieve your new computer and we will walk you through it step by step.

Goober, Mar 11, 2006
  4. katrina3471

katrina3471

thank you both very much :)

katrina3471, Mar 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question