Having Dialup -and- Cable access on same computer

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Liariel, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Liariel

Liariel Novice

Hey. I'm new to these forums, and I hope I have this posted in the right place. I have one question so far (undoubtedly more later) and was wondering if anyone might help me with it. I am trying to get cable internet access. The problem is, I'm on a relative's computer for right now, and they (unfortunately) use AOL. They get a special price for it, through the company my uncle works for. They can't use anything else because it's all they're used to, plus they wouldn't want to go through the bother just so I can have faster internet. ;) So they need to still be able to access their AOL, one way or another. AOL does offer highspeed of course, through other companies; but you'd have to pay a fee for AOL -plus- the cable company's (Insight around here) fee. That, and they aren't sure if they will be able to go back to their discounted price for dialup, later, once I move and the cable is no longer needed. And they don't care to look into it. What I'm wanting to do is be able to have my cable access, and also have them be able to dialup to the internet like they normally do whenever they want to use it. I wouldn't mind just turning the cable connection on and off in network connections or something everytime I needed to use it (assuming you can't have both on at once). But it is possible to do this, right? If so, can anyone tell me exactly what I'd need to do to make this work out?

Liariel, Apr 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Liariel

k3o My name is James VIP Member

Why do your relatives insist on using their dial-up? You could let them use the cable connection for everything?

k3o, Apr 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Liariel

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

Well, from what Liariel's written, I assume that the relatives are used to AOL (yech) and want to stay with it.

You can indeed use both (or in this case, switch between) dialup and broadband. There are a number of ways to deactivate the broadband for dialup use; the easiest would probably be to simply turn off or unplug the cable modem when it is not in use.

But really, I'd recommend at least an attempt to get your relatives hooked on broadband because, well, AOL is crap.

Oh, and welcome to TechieHQ, where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average!

Codex85, Apr 25, 2006
    Core likes this.
  4. Liariel

Liariel Novice

So I don't have to turn off anything in Network Connections? Just simply turn modem off/unplug it and it'll let them dial up to the internet with no hassle? And then when I turn the cable modem back on/plug it back in, it will automatically connect?

I'm afraid there is no chance of getting em hooked on anything else, though. :p AOL is the only thing they've ever learned to use, and having always had AOL to hold their hand, they don't know anything about the internet outside of the way AOL does it.

Thanks for the welcome, btw =)

Liariel, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Liariel

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

No, you don't have to disable anything in network connections, though you coulddo it that way if you so desired.

In fact, since AOL has its own (crap) browser and (as far as I know) won't work with the broadband, you might even be able to get away with not turning the modem off at all; you could try leaving it on and letting the relatives connect to AOL, to see what happens.

Codex85, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Liariel

Liariel Novice

Alright, I will give it a try. Thank you. :)

Liariel, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question