Hard drive failure - few questions about diagnostics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karansaraf, Oct 26, 2015.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

I need some help please with some hard drive issues.

I have been running a Synology DS211 Network Attached Storage unit with 2x 2TB internal Hitachi 3.5inch HDDs (RAID 1 = identical mirrored drives)

Last week it started making some funny noises, and became inaccessible. I suspected HD failure in one or more drives.

I ran Synology diagnostics on the NAS itself without the HDDs and that was all fine - so definitely not a NAS hardware problem.

I then bought a SATA to USB3 cable to hook up the drives to a Windows computer in order to run the Hitachi WinDFT (Drive Fitness Test) which is their HD diagnostic tool.

Now, when I connect the first drive to the computer via SATA to USB3, and plug in the power, it is making a funny noise (therefore the problem lies with this drive). However:
    - Whilst the computer recognises a new piece of hardware being connected, it cannot "install new hardware" and fails at this stage
    -I can't seem to find it in My Computer/My Devices and WinDFT doesn't scan for it and recognise that it is connected.

The "good" drive when connected spins normally. The computer recognises a new piece of hardware has been connected, and seems to install drivers successfully. Windows recognises that a "mass storage device" is connected (when I look for it in "My Devices"). However:
    - It does not appear in My Computer as an extra drive
    - When I go to disk management, it shows up (in addition to my C:/ drive (OS) and E:/ drive (data partition) - but it has no drive letter assigned, has no information available (ie. total capacity, capacity filled etc)
    - It tells me that in order to use the disk, I need to "initialize" it. But doing so will erase my data (and this is the only disk with my data on it!)
    - When I then scan for drives using Hitachi's WinDFT - it cannot even detect that the good drive has been connected.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Synology automatically format their drives in EXT format (I think).

What do I do next? How do I get the drive recognised in Windows?

karansaraf, Oct 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

Ian Administrator

The drives are probably running a Linux file system (EXT4), which is the first problem. But secondly, as it was part of a RAID configuration it may not be possible to read that drive unless you are using the same RAID controller on that machine. If you boot from a Linux Live CD then you may be in luck in be able to get data from your drive.

What may be easier is to place the working drive back in your NAS. As you've running it in RAID1, you should be able to place the RAID array in degraded mode and access the data from the single working drive.

Normally when a drive fails in a NAS, it is detected as not working (via SMART) and then removed from the array automatically - then you can replace that drive and it will rebuild the RAID1 config again from the working drive.

Ian, Oct 27, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Thanks for that - I will give it a go.

karansaraf, Oct 30, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  4. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Unfortunately, nothing happens when I tried that. The NAS displays blinking lights and isn't found on the server. Having run the hardware test on the NAS, it seemed to be running fine so the NAS hardware shouldn't be an issue.

karansaraf, Nov 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements