Hard Disk Read error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by James, Mar 8, 2003.

1. James

James Photojournalist

I have an IBM Deskstar 30GB drive, worked fine until last thursday. Now, when I try to turn on my pc, the HD makes a noise like its trying to read the disk over and over, then it fails, and says "disk read error", reboot pc.

I've tried replacing the ata cables, putting the HD in a different pc, and also making it a slave to a working HD, but no success..

All I need to do is copy a big folder on the D partition to a working HD.... This has windows XP pro also. I've also tried recovery console btw....

James, Mar 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. James

ordo techbowler.com

That Hard Drive is pooched!

Good luck getting data off of it. If you've tried making it a slave and still no luck, then it's gonna be tough. You could try this though. Since you only need data off the D Drive, do the following :
    Boot the computer through some sort of disk manager (Win NT/2K/XP setup, Part Magic, your choice),

Delete the C partition and any partition other than your D Drive's partition.

Then try the slave trick again. The OS should avoid the bad section of hard disk (hopefully).

Though, since you were hearing sounds, the needle could have crashed into a platter and you're SOL.

Maybe this will help.
    -DRW

ordo, Mar 9, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. James

James Photojournalist

Ok, I'll try that as a last resort....

I ran a drive fitness test:
    Someone else suggested to put the drive in a freezer and then run the drive upside down, and maybe it will run for a little bit... I hope it does... all I need is 5 mins to get some data...

James, Mar 9, 2003
  4. James

James Photojournalist

The freezer trick didn't work.... :(

Looks like I'll be replacing this drive with a Maxtor drive.. I hope I can retreive some data from the old drive... I won't give up!

I may be getting a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y080L0 80GB ATA/133 7200RPM Hard Drive w/Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motors drive soon for myself.

James, Mar 9, 2003
  5. James

James Photojournalist

Well, I gave up. :p I ordered the Maxtor drive for my own personal drive, the 30GB drive wasn't mine. But that person DID have some of their data backed up thankfully.

James, Apr 14, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question