Google Apps email mess

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Core, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I don't know why I am having this issue... I have moved from a shared host to a VPS solution and have had to hit the ground running due to having no previous VPS experience (maybe that answers my question...).

One of the domains I have moved over uses Google Apps for handling its email service, which has worked fine in the past. I moved the domain over to the VPS, adjusted the MX records for the domain's DNS on the VPN, and all was good. Emails were being sent to Google as expected. But then I added a few subdomains through DirectAdmin control panel (similar to cPanel) and ever since I have been getting a delivery status notification when I try to email my Google Apps email account.

A couple of things worth a mention:
    1) I can still refresh the inbox via IMAP in Thunderbird just fine for the Google Apps email account, so that tells me the DNS should be correctly configured, at least partially, or it wouldn't find it at all, right? At least the MX record should be...
    2) These test emails that bounce back immediately are being sent from a Gmail account to a Google Apps email account. It doesn't matter whether I use Gmail's own interface or Thunderbird, so I don't think it's an SMTP server misconfig on my part.
    3) I have not had time or opportunity to test if sending an email to mika [ə] salakka dot com would work from a non-Google-operated address yet.

This is an example of the delivery status notification I get back from Google (I have manually edited the email addresses within to be harder for email harvesters to read):

I'm not wild about posting the DNS record from the VPS here out in the open; I can PM it if someone thinks it can tell them something.

I am not entirely convinced this isn't a problem at Google's end; it is just that the timing coincides with my creation of those subdomains.

Core, Apr 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

Zeus Moderator

I found your problem:

:lol2

Check to make sure your stored passwords are correct, and that you have configured all required passwords.
    Also if you want to PM me the records I will take a look. I will also try to email you from my work account when I get to work this morning and see what happens.

Zeus, Apr 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question