Gateway Memory Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qsdls, Aug 19, 2008.

1. qsdls

qsdls VIP Member

Hi, I got a new memory stick for my Gateway laptop, model MX3215 (1 Gb), factory defaults come with 256 Mb, before installing it I format with Gateway utility disks, and since that , it is pretty fast and everything but the blue screen appears minimum 2 times per use. and windows 'error report' shows this after it has restarted:

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver
    You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.
    Troubleshooting

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the blue screen error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
    [​IMG] Step 1: Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer
    [​IMG] Step 2: Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen
    [​IMG] Step 3: Scan your computer for viruses
    [​IMG] Step 4: Check your hard disk for errors
    [​IMG] Step 5: Restore your computer to an earlier state
    [​IMG] Advanced troubleshooting

I bought the memory on www.all4memory.com and selected the model as exactly as the pc indicates.

qsdls, Aug 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. qsdls

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

I would suggest downloading and burning to a disk memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/)
    You can then boot off of the CD and run the memory diagnostic tool to see if it reports any errors with the memory. Often times the memory will have bad chunks that will cause your computer to crash. If it has bad areas, simply return it.

Fenis-Wolf, Aug 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question