Gallery on THQ?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Site Problems & Feedback' started by Ian, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Would a photo gallery be an use on the site? I've had a look at vbulletin.org for some interesting modifications, and it looks like there are some good free gallery apps available :)

Ian, Oct 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I think it might be a simpler option for the likes of the random month desktop wallpaper threads, also posting images of motherboards like i did for my jumper problem

Nickweb, Oct 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Zeus Moderator

I agree. I personally wouldn't upload many personal pics simply because I don't like having my picture taken, but it would be good for the desktops and I'm sure Spike would keep his stocked with that beautiful car of his.

Zeus, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Excellent, I'll look in to it tomorrow and see what I can do :)

Ian, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Ian

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

I actually wouldn't use it. From what I've experienced, a lot of forum galleries are a bit of a pain to find (for specific members) and to navigate though. They also seem to be prone to image corruption. I've seen this happen to two other forums that I regularly go to. One just started displaying pretty pixels and the other just stopped loading the pictures.

On the other hand, I have seen them utilized very successfully. In another forum that I go to occasionally, there is actually a banner that grabs pictures from the member's galleries (just a select few) and it displays a different image every time the page is refreshed, like a slide show. It also has a forum watermark that goes on the corner of the image as well as the name of the user who posted the picture.

This was from a car forum so you can easily imagine how it works nicely there. For THQ, it might have to be implemented differently. Perhaps a "random photo of the day" or something like that.

spike228, Oct 16, 2008
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator

Ah yes, I forgot this version of vBulletin has member galleries - I'll have an explore of that and see how it would work, as it might be a better solution.

Ian, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Ian

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I've seen these gallery scripts generate a lot of traffic. It can work to our advantage, or against us, depending on how it's implemented and takes off.

One thing though: I'd like it to be as unintrusive as possible. A lot of these gallery scripts are slow to load and take up a huge chunk of the screen, which is something I've always found tacky.

Core, Oct 29, 2008
  8. Ian

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

I'm not too concerned about the scripts, since most of them seem to run fine (for me anyways). But about it taking up too much of the screen, there will need to be thumbnails generated from the images.

spike228, Oct 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements