Frontpage Extensions

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Core, May 6, 2006.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I haven't used Frontpage since the 98 version (and a brief encounter with '02), but I've always been kind of fascinated with the Extensions. I have read that Frontpage 2003 no longer uses Extensions, but SharePoint Services, which have apparently come to replace Extensions.

Anyways... I used FP 98 and liked it a lot, the direct publishing was nice and worked well. I'd like to install Frontpage 2003 and give it a spin, but I've heard that you shouldn't install Extensions if you're going to use FTP to edit webpages.

I use a webhost with a reseller account. Basically, I have one domain, and then a bunch of added domains that point to subdirectories on that main domain. Some domains belong to people I know, they do their own updating, via FTP.

Unfortunately it seems that I cannot enable Extensions simply for one specific addon domain, they have to be enabled for the umbrella domain which will probably automatically add those vti folders all over the place. Aside from that being slightly annoying, here's my question:

Why is it exactly that it is not recommended to enable Extensions on a domain or a cluster of domains where FTP is being used to edit files? Is it only because websites authored with FP should be only updated with FP so that it can keep accurate track of changes, links, etc etc? Or is there a more profound reason?

I'd like to try FP 2003, but it's rather moot without the Extensions being enabled.

Core, May 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question