Freeware video editing software

Discussion in 'Media Workshop' started by Ian, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

My dad has a DV camera, and has been recording stuff for years without actually transferring it to PC/DVD. Because there's some interesting stuff there, I thought it would be a good idea to show him how to copy the video over to his PC.

However, the software he got with the camera is years old (if he even has it).

Are there any freeware video editing applications that you could recommend? Is the MS Movie Maker more than adequate to edit and then burn to DVD?

Any tips would be great :)

Ian, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Movie Maker is probably your only decent free option. Its not great but it will get the job done.

Fenis-Wolf, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I agree, having used a LOT of video apps in my time...WMM is pretty much the only half-decent free app. There are, of course others, such as avisynth, but that takes a bit more knowledge to use.

example: I made San Andreas Wildest Police Chases in Windows Movie Maker (to see just what I could achieve with it)

Nickweb, Nov 20, 2008
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks guys, WMM it is then :)

Judging by your vid (nice work btw), it seems more than capable of what my dad will need to do with it ;)

Ian, Nov 21, 2008
  5. Ian

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

You could always use VirtuaDub and use it's "Capture AVI" feature. I use this to capture from my Composite to USB device, and it works fantastic.

For actually importing things off a DVD, I use Pinnacle Studio, and then re-author the MPEG's to AVI's using VirtuaDubMod.

And, as for most things regarding Video/Audio editing etc etc, Doom9 should be your website of choice :)

S Walch, Mar 1, 2009
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks :D I showed my dad how to use WMM and he seemed pretty pleased with it, and got the hang of it quickly enough.

I remember using Doom9 years ago to find out about DVD burning, but not used that for a while. I could do with getting to grips with video editing myself, so I'll have to check it out once more!

Ian, Mar 1, 2009
  7. Ian

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

HEY I told you about pinnicle ste!!!

Nickweb, Mar 1, 2009
  8. Ian

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

DVD Flick is a great program if you just want to burn to DVD without any fancy stuff. It supports drag and drop too :D

Goober, Mar 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question