Flash on Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by seriousgamer247, Dec 23, 2011.

1. seriousgamer247

seriousgamer247

Hi

I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my system using VMWare workstation. I have also downloaded the flash players for Linux system from the Adobe site. Now I want to run a specific flash file (.swf) on the Linux system but am unable to do so. Also, the flash player, debugger that I downloaded does not execute properly. How can I solve this problem?

How do I execute flash content on linux system outside a web browser i.e. locally?

Also, how can I go into command mode in Linux OS just like we execute "cmd" for Windows?

All suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

SeriousGamer247

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    seriousgamer247, Dec 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. seriousgamer247

Zeus Moderator

The CMD function in Linux is called a terminal. Try Applications > Accessories > Terminal. I'm not familiar with RHEL5, but I am familiar with Fedora so I can't help much with GUI navigation but the terminal window commands should work (Fedora is the free version of RHEL.)
    I would try installing Flash manually from the terminal window. I never could get the Adobe installer to work for me when trying to use it.

First you need to switch to root

su -

Then install the Adobe repository

32-bit OS:
    rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
    rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

64-bit OS:
    rpm
    -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
    rpm
    --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

Then you have to update your repositories
    yum check-update

And finally Install Flash
    yum groupinstall
    "Sound and Video"
    yum
    install flash-plugin nspluginwrapper curl

If those 2 commands don't work, try:
    yum
    install flash-plugin nspluginwrapper alsa-plugins-pulseaudio libcurl

Edit - I tried to use code tags for the commands but it kept randomly inserting tags and breaking the commands apart, so the stuff you are supposed to type is in Italic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    Zeus, Dec 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question