Favorite OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by undeadpenguin, Sep 21, 2003.

?

What's your favorite OS?

1. Windows

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Linux

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. BSD

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. BeOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Unix (or Unix-like besides those forementioned)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. MacOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. undeadpenguin

undeadpenguin Bang. VIP Member

What's your favorite OS? Right now mine has to be FreeBSD. I just installed it and am loving it. It's a tad bit different from Linux (what I normally use), but I just love Ports! Software installation has never been easier! No more dependencies!

So anyway... what's your favorite?

I hope a thread like this hasn't been posted already. Last time I posted one, I realized like three minutes later the same thing had been posted earlier. DOH! Anyway, I browsed around a little bit this time to make sure, and couldn't find anything.

undeadpenguin, Sep 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. undeadpenguin

Core in pounce mode Moderator

It's not a popular choice, but I still miss OS/2. If they still developed it further and released a new version that supported current hardware standards, I would probably switch over entirely. Yes, it was that good. I love IBM.

Core, Sep 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. undeadpenguin

Kristi I'm Baaaackkk!! VIP Member

I like Windows. I don't know enough about any other operating system to really have a choice either :redface

I've seen Linux on one of my boyfriends' computers but I didn't care for it. Windows for me :)

Kristi, Sep 21, 2003
  4. undeadpenguin

James Photojournalist

I prefer Windows and probably always will. I have Linux Red Hat on one of my computers. It's not bad, I just don't care for it. It's not the fact that I have to learn new commands either.

James, Sep 21, 2003
  5. undeadpenguin

TacoX DomineNonEsDignus VIP Member

The only OS I've really used is Windows, and a little UNIX, but I've been pretty satisfied with XP. I have heard lots of good things about Linux and I really want to try it. Undeadgnome said in another thread that you can get Linux for free, so I looked around and I have found a few different versions of Linux, like Mandrake and RedHat. What’s the difference? And which one is preferable? If you Linux geeks could shed some light on this for me I would be much appreciative :D :D

TacoX, Oct 7, 2003
  6. undeadpenguin

Well first off, Linux usually refers just to the kernel, so there are lots of different versions. Right now the 2.6.xx kernel is still in development, and 2.4.22 is stable. The 2.4.22 is what I use and what I recommend. However, that's not what you were asking. Those are called distributions of Linux. Linux has hundreds of different distributions. Unlike Windows, the source code is distributed with Linux. So people edit the distributions they're using, and make their own. The most popular distributions of Linux are RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE. I, however, don't really recommend any of them. I recommend Slackware, even to newbies, because it has good package management with swaret, and is easy to install, and makes you think and learn what your doing. If you don't want to have to edit config scripts yourself, or just don't want to have to spend a long time searching the web for help, I'd recommend RedHat. Unfortunately, RedHat is breaking away from the desktop market and focusing on the Enterprise market, and I don't think you want to spend $1300 for your OS. So then, I'd recommend Fedora, which is based off of RedHat.
    Useful stuff:
    fedora.redhat.com
    slackware.com
    www.redhat.com
    www.linuxiso.org
    http://members.cox.net/khockey1015/faq.html

Feel free to ask if you want anything else explained!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
    undeadpenguin, Oct 7, 2003
  7. undeadpenguin

Sweet. Thanks for the info. OK, so i went to the slackware site, went to "Get Slack", found an FTP, went to "current version" directory and from there on I got lost. Exactly is it that i get? And unless I'm mistaken is it :shock REALLY :shock big? On the slackware homepage you could get it sent to you on 4 CDs, and I've also seen RedHat ISOs which are like almost gig. Anyways I appreciate your help, thanks!

TacoX, Oct 8, 2003
  8. undeadpenguin

An easier way to obtain would be LinuxISo_Org. You can download Slackware from there and there aren't any other files besides the images. It's two disks, the second is optionally, but I recommend it for newbies (it just contains KDE and Gnome, desktop environments). When you do the install, do a full install. It'll make it a lot easier when you try to install a program. If you need any other help, I hear they just started a *nix forum!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The files are all >700MB, but somewhere around there. You need a CD burner. Open up your favorite burning program, and do File | Create Disk from CD Image (or something like that, it depends upon your particular software) | Find your image | Burn! If you just burn it, it'll just burn the ISO without extracting the files to the disk, leaving you with a coaster. If my instructions don't work, go to linuxISo_Org and read their Burning FAQ.

undeadpenguin, Oct 8, 2003
  9. undeadpenguin

Well I've read the Intro to Linux on LinuxISo_Org and I'm sold! Thanks a lot for your help! :D :D :D

TacoX, Oct 8, 2003
  10. undeadpenguin

board3r

Im a windows man myself. always been using it and most likely always will be ;)

board3r, Oct 8, 2003
  11. undeadpenguin

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Windows Xp is my fave.

Linux was too far outta my league :(

S Walch, Oct 10, 2003
  12. undeadpenguin

plumcrazy

mandrake linux here

plumcrazy, Nov 4, 2003
  13. undeadpenguin

Actually if I could change my vote I'd switch back to Linux too. BSD is driving me crazy. I keep having a stupid shared library dependency not being filled every time I try to install anyting. libinitl.so.4. I created a symlink to it from libinitl.so.5, but no luck. I think Slack is my favorite still... too bad I have to give it bad scores when I review it (it has no features. That's what makes it great, but that takes away from it's review value. Right now the only thing I've got going for it is that it's fast).

undeadpenguin, Nov 4, 2003
  14. undeadpenguin

Ops VIP Member

redhat
    windowsXP
    slackware
    turbolinux

Ops, Nov 4, 2003
  15. undeadpenguin

How is TurboLinux? I was thinking of reviewing it for my site (along with 187 other distros).

undeadpenguin, Nov 4, 2003
  16. undeadpenguin

Ops VIP Member

reminds me of Slackware pretty much, its pretty good, I find it a little bit more configurable when you install it, I mean it was easier to pick the packages down to the most individual thing, good stuff.

Ops, Nov 4, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question