ethernet over long distance

Discussion in 'PC Technical Talk' started by Graham, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Graham

Chris Amor Guest

How about DIY. I bookmarked this some time ago, but never tried it.
    http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Chris Amor, Apr 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Graham

giovantis

hello, I would like to enter this thared not for an actual reply, but just because with some differences, my issue is very similar: Ethernet over long distances with cables.

I have some IP devices (PC and/or sensors), that are located at different distances between each other, along a path that is 1 Kilometer long in total.
    Each of these devices need to communicate with a server that is placed at the beginning of the path: therefore the maximum distance to cover to enable the communication server-device is 1Km.

The question is: can I solve the problem by simply using many ethernet cables (each not longer than 100 meter for example), and using switches along the path as repeaters (so about 9/10 switches). Of course, the PC devices along the path will be connected to the network by the mean of the switches.
    And, if yes, specifically what kind of switches do I need? Common/professional layer 2?
    Does anyone have similar experiences whether this cascade of switches will do the job?

giovantis, May 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question