Error Messages and Random Restart Joy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ownerer, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Ownerer

Ownerer

Hi all

Time for my 5th post since 2006. I reformatted my Compaq Presario SR5000 Desktop PC yesterday, due to various adware and slow running issues. Computer specifics are outlined below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    Report Date: Wednesday 17 March 2010 at 02:13

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>
    > Mainboard : Asus NARRA3
    > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
    > Processor : AMD Sempron Dual-Core LE-1210+ @ 1800 MHz
    > Physical Memory : 3072 MB
    > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    > Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (160 GB)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L
    > Network Card : RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet Adapter
    > Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    > DirectX : Version 9.0c

If you require further system information, please let me know. I added 2GB of memory and the video card to the computer, all the rest is factory standard. I have had the computer for just under a year.

Question One:

Occasionally, the computer will randomly shut down and reboot. I disabled automatic restarts and took a note of the error messages which are as follows:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF801633, 0XB6624C88, 0X00000000) ***

*** win32k.sys - Address BF801633 base at BF800000, Date Stamp 41107f7a ***

I have only ever experienced these messages since the reformat. It may also be relevant, that prior to the reformat, I installed a new network card as my onboard ethernet has died.

If anyone has any idea what is causing these issues, please let me know. I have my suspicions that it is hardware related, possibly RAM related. I also think it may be related to cooling as during the reformatting process, my computer has been on for periods in excess of 12 hours straight, during downloads/software updates etc. If anyone is able to confirm that this is simply related to cooling, or otherwise, I'd be very grateful.

Question Two:

Since installing my new network card, a PCI 10/100 Ethernet Card, (details provided in system spec. above) my internet speed has slowed dramatically, using SpeedTest (.net) to check, my download speed came up at 0.004 megabytes per second from Oxford UK to London UK with a ping of 1105. That is definitely megabytes not megabits. I am unfortunately unware of the normal speed, however downloads and the internet generally are slow. I am on a shared internet connection provided by my University and have limited access to connection settings etc. I really just would like an opinion as to whether the speed of the ethernet card 10/100mbps, could be causing the slower connection? Or whether this is more likely to just be related to a high volume of people being online. My onboard ethernet adapter (when it worked) operated at 400mbps.

--------------------------------------------------

I have posted this under hardware as from my own research, I have found that the error messages I have received are most probably hardware related, rather than software. Also, I have not experienced this problem before, using the same operating system etc and am therefore doubtful that this is BIOS or driver update related.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ownerer, Mar 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Ownerer

Core in pounce mode Moderator

You shouldn't be experiencing that slow of a speed just because you're using a 10/100 card; that's about as standard an Ethernet card as you can get.

I'd make sure you use OEM drivers for the card, as opposed to Windows' native ones. Furthermore, if there is an option in BIOS to deactivate the onboard Ethernet, that might be worth doing since you're not using it. Makes me wonder though, what killed the onboard LAN adapter and what else it might've taken with it when it died.

I don't see how this could be because of cooling if all you've been doing is downloading updates. I keep my computers on 24/7, been doing so for over a decade now. Even with stock cooling, so long as it's operating properly, I see this as being an unlikely, although not entirely impossible culprit.

Open her up & refasten all cards and memory sticks. Perform a memory check. Try OEM drivers for the Ethernet card.

Core, Mar 17, 2010
    clifford likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Ownerer

Zeus Moderator

:shock5 POSTS:shock
    Today will forever be celebrated as "Ownerer Needs To Drop In More Often Day"

;)

Ditto on the cooling and drivers analysis. I too leave mine on 24/7 and mine is even slightly overclocked.

I would definitely disable the onoard NIC if you haven't already done so. I ran into a similar problem with speed after having my onboard NIC go bad and I didn't disable it. Windows automatically set me onboard to my primary and bridged the installed one to it as a secondary. The problem this caused was that every time I connected to my network it would try to communicate 1st with my onboard NIC then move to my working one. It was so slow it was painful to watch.

Also if you think it is a RAM problem, take out the 2 gigs you just added and boot up and see if it runs like it used to. Then if they are 1GB sticks replace them one at a time til you figure out which one is the culprit.

Zeus, Mar 17, 2010
  4. Ownerer

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Was this new NIC placed in the computer before or after the OS reinstall?

Goober, Mar 17, 2010
  5. Ownerer

Ownerer

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Disabled the onboard networking in the BIOS and speed has increased about 33% or so, which is good. I think my connection is just generally poor however.

On the RAM front, I've not had the same problem again since this post and have tried replacing each stick (which was added extra) and seen no difference in performance.

@Goober: yes the NIC was placed in the PC after the fresh OS install.

@Cryptoboats: I'll do my best to drop by more often!

Thanks for all ideas so far.

Ownerer, Mar 17, 2010
  6. Ownerer

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

So its not BSODing any more?

Goober, Mar 18, 2010
  7. Ownerer

medbor THQ Noob

random lock ups and bluescreens is usually (almost always) RAM or in rare instances GPU/CPU overheating (you should just check for and vacuum away all dust on the fans). if the computer is totally dead i.e. no fans then its PSU or MB related. Just some tips for the future ;)

medbor, Apr 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question